Default What Happens if a Store Rings Up Items at the Wrong Price

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

I know in California there are laws that protect you if an item is tagged with the wrong price but rings up higher, but what if the item rings up as a different item and lower? I was at Target and an item rang up as a different item due to an error in the DCPI. It was also much cheaper. The error was probably due to human/computer (?) error as the UPC/DCPI did not match. Can they legally refuse to sell it even after they rang me up?

I don't really care about the item but the workers were incredibly rude saying I was essentially stealing since I knew they were ringing up as another item (much cheaper). I also had to wait about 20 minutes before telling me I can only get it at half price of the shelf price.

Default Re: What Happens if a Store Rings Up Items at the Wrong Price

Quote Quoting SeanSP
    View Post
    My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: California

I know in California there are laws that protect you if an item is tagged with the wrong price but rings up higher, but what if the item rings up as a different item and lower? I was at Target and an item rang up as a different item due to an error in the DCPI. It was also much cheaper. The error was probably due to human/computer (?) error as the UPC/DCPI did not match. Can they legally refuse to sell it even after they rang me up?
    Yes.

Quote Quoting SeanSP
    View Post

I don't really care about the item but the workers were incredibly rude saying I was essentially stealing since I knew they were ringing up as another item (much cheaper). I also had to wait about 20 minutes before telling me I can only get it at half price of the shelf price.
    Tough.

It happened. It's done.

Get over it.

If somebody transferred a Target price tag from one item to another, such that when the item was scanned a mismatch was found between the DCPI for the item you were attempting to purchase and the actual item associated with the DCPI number, then the store can decline to sell you the item at the incorrect price. It doesn't matter whether the wrong DCPI was affixed to the item by mistake, or by somebody else who hoped to commit retail fraud but for some reason left the item in the store. If you chose to purchase the item for its actual sale price, apparently 50% off, that still seems like a pretty good deal and brings the story to an end.

Under contract law, the contract is not formed until both the buyer and seller have agreed to all the essential terms, including the price of the item. That would occur here after the items are scanned and the store figures what price it will charge for the items and also what price you are willing to pay for them. Here the store noted the item scanned at the wrong price and refused to offer it to you at that price, which it may do. It finally instead offered the item at half price, which you could have either accepted or rejected. You accepted it, so presumably everyone is satisfied. But had you not accepted it, you simply would not have bought it and no harm would have been done. You were not out any money. So either way, you were not taken advantage of here.

1. Sponsored Links