Default Can You Emancipate Your Unruly Child

My question involves guardianship in the State of: Texas

My daughter refuses to follow my rules, listen to anything we say, and attend her dr appointmentments. I am terrified of her. I have had her committed 5 times for threats of hurting us. Recently she went to live with a friend of mine. The hospital says I can't have her committed again cause she is 17. Cops say I can't make her come home cause she is 17. And honestly don't want her to. She has a roof over her head, gets 160$ a week in child support from her father. Can I emancipate her?? And how do I go about doing it. Also we are currently about to foster my niece to adopt. How will my oldest behavior effect the adoption?

Default Re: Can You Emancipate Your Unruly Child

Quote Quoting RLE1113
    View Post
    My question involves guardianship in the State of: Texas

My daughter refuses to follow my rules, listen to anything we say, and attend her dr appointmentments. I am terrified of her. I have had her committed 5 times for threats of hurting us. Recently she went to live with a friend of mine. The hospital says I can't have her committed again cause she is 17. Cops say I can't make her come home cause she is 17. And honestly don't want her to. She has a roof over her head, gets 160$ a week in child support from her father. Can I emancipate her?? And how do I go about doing it. Also we are currently about to foster my niece to adopt. How will my oldest behavior effect the adoption?
    If it were me, I'd have serious reservations about your ability as a parent.

You can leave your eldest child where she is.

Can I emancipate her?? Not only no, but hell no. On the very, very rare occasions when a minor is emancipated, it is because the more-than-usually-mature-for-her (or his)- age minor has been able to demonstrate a clear and convincing ability to manage her own financial, social and educational affairs. A minor with a history of mental and/or emotional issues to the point that you describe...let's just say that you have a better chance of winning the lottery and being struck by lightning on the same day than she has of being emancipated.

And how do I go about doing it. You don't.

Also we are currently about to foster my niece to adopt. How will my oldest behavior effect the adoption? That's a question better asked of the attorney who is taking you through the adoption.

Where in the world did you ever get the idea that you could wash your hands of your responsibility to the child you created? She is your responsibility until she turns 18. If she has your permission to stay with your friend, that's fine. But if she wants to return home? You have to take her back in.

Quote Quoting RLE1113
    View Post
    She has a roof over her head, gets 160$ a week in child support from her father. Can I emancipate her?
    To become emancipated in Texas, a minor must be self-supporting and managing her own financial affairs. From what you have told us, your daughter relies upon others for her support, so she is not eligible.

Doesn't want their child but is getting ready to foster a niece to adopt. No wonder the 17 year old has problems.

RLE1113, don't be surprised in a few years when your niece starts showing the same behavior as your child, if it takes that long.

I asked a simple question on legal advise. I have other very well adjusted children. If I knew this was going to be bash a parent forum I wouldn't have come here. I was told by the cops and the hospital there was nothing I can do to make her come home. Mentally ill or not. And I am not trying to wash my hands of her. I am trying to cover my bases if she does something illegal we can't be held responsible. She threatened if I made her come home she would hurt us. So how would I not be scared of her. Also she left because I took her phone away cause I caught her sending naked pictures out over the web, up until about a year ago or so she was a straight A student, going to the vocational center to be a vet tech. We moved to Texas she started dating this boy. Next thing I know she is sneaking out, sexting, acting erratic, expiramenting with drugs. We had her committed the first time when she threatened to hurt us. If we didn't allow her to see her "master" when I told her no she hit me. The mental hospital says it's PTSD because her father left she is unnaturally attached to this boyfriend. So before you go get all judgemental about my parenting skills get the facts. If she's gonna threaten to hurt me if I make her come home, and the police won't help I wanna make sure my husband and I are legally covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Also her 160$ a week I give her so she can get stuff and didn't feel obligated to get a job so she could focus on her school work

You need some serious parenting classes and/or counselling. ASAP. I can't wrap my head around the reality that you want to wash your hands of YOUR CHILD. Despicable!

CC: TX DFPS

None of which changes the fact that legally, she does not qualify to be emancipated.

1. Sponsored Links