Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can Your Employer Require You to Use your Own Money to Make Change for Customers

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Pennsylvania

Got a few questions but first , I work in a small restaurant and I am expected to start out every day with at least $20 of my own money so that I have change to give to customers who pay their bills in cash, my employer doesn't provide a cash register. Is this legal?

Default Re: Employer Makes Me Use My Own Money to Provide Change for Customer Checks

Do you get the money back?

Default Re: Employer Makes Me Use My Own Money to Provide Change for Customer Checks

at the end of my shift i print out a report that shows how much i owe the employer in cash out of the money i've collected from customers .. so yes

- - - Updated - - -

also have another question u may be able to help me with with the same regards .. if u can .. i also rent an apartment off of my employer and she charges me $20/ shift for rent and deducts it from my tips so it is included on this end of shift report .. Is that legal for her to do? to take my tips to pay her for a rental property? Or does that have to be separated .. cause i have a co worker that has never seen a paycheck from this employer cause he also rents off of her and she keeps all of his pays even when he asks her not to cause he has to buy food or gifts for his son for x-mas

Quote Quoting jpauley79
    View Post
    at the end of my shift i print out a report that shows how much i owe the employer in cash out of the money i've collected from customers .. so yes
    No harm, no foul.

You can always refuse and tell the customer, "sorry, exact change please."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting jpauley79
    View Post

also have another question u may be able to help me with with the same regards .. if u can .. i also rent an apartment off of my employer and she charges me $20/ shift for rent and deducts it from my tips so it is included on this end of shift report .. Is that legal for her to do? to take my tips to pay her for a rental property? Or does that have to be separated .. cause i have a co worker that has never seen a paycheck from this employer cause he also rents off of her and she keeps all of his pays even when he asks her not to cause he has to buy food or gifts for his son for x-mas
    It's legal if you agree to it.

Again, you can say no, and find yourself another place to live.

She charges you $20 per SHIFT?

why would you be renting an apartment based on how many shifts you work?

i'm not .. i am charged a monthly rate ..
    so she schedules me based on what i owe so she makes sure she gets her money

Is she including the $20 in your taxable wages -- that is taxing you for it, but just not paying it to you? And paying things like unemployment taxes, etc for you on those wages?

If she is making this a pre-tax benefit, that would go against tax laws. And she is possibly hiding cash income from the IRS for both you and her. Which is illegal. If she is handling it correctly and you have signed and agreed to the wage deduction, it would be legal. It's then basically a voluntarily garnishment.

Bottom line: Sounds like you need to find a new job.

Imagine the $20 is a pair of shoes or a tool you must have to work. Does it make sense yet?

Quote Quoting jpauley79
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Pennsylvania

Got a few questions but first , I work in a small restaurant and I am expected to start out every day with at least $20 of my own money so that I have change to give to customers who pay their bills in cash, my employer doesn't provide a cash register. Is this legal?
    Wait staff having to provide their own change is totally standard and normal.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast