Default Ticket for Driving Without Insurance Due to a Misplaced Insurance Card

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: California

I was pulled over earlier this year and ticketed for having no proof of insurance. I was definitely insured, but just somehow lost the card. Since I can't prove that I had insurance at that time now, is the only choice I have is to pay the 900+300(late fee)? Would going to court before the judge lower the fines? Or is there any other way to prove that I was insured without the actual card?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Ticket for Driving Without Proof of Insurance Due to a Misplaced Insurance Card

Very obviously, you can contact your insurance company for proof of insurance at the time of the traffic stop.

How long ago did you default on the ticket?

Default Re: Ticket for Driving Without Proof of Insurance Due to a Misplaced Insurance Card

What do you mean by default? The ticket was in May, I got a 30 day extension then forgot about it lol, hence the 300 dollar fee.
    So if I can get that proof from my insurance company should I still bother going to court to try to get the 300 late fee reduced? Or is that a waste of time. Thanks.

Default Re: Ticket for Driving Without Insurance Due to a Misplaced Insurance Card

The late fee is not the issue. The issue is whether the ticket has been adjudicated or there is potentially a warrant for failure to appear. Once it has been adjudicated it is too late. The late fee is only the financial component and is non related to proof of coverage.

Default Re: Ticket for Driving Without Insurance Due to a Misplaced Insurance Card

Well it does say my appearance is optional. I'm given an option to just show proof of correction and pay the 25 + 300 late fee. I'm just asking if I appear in court and basically apologize is there a chance for a reduction on the late fee?

Quote Quoting fengstar
    View Post
    What do you mean by default?
    Default.
    Quote Quoting fengstar
    The ticket was in May, I got a 30 day extension then forgot about it lol, hence the 300 dollar fee.
    So, then, it would appear that you defaulted in June.
    Quote Quoting fengstar
    So if I can get that proof from my insurance company should I still bother going to court to try to get the 300 late fee reduced?
    You can get your proof of insurance and attempt to convince the court to set aside the default, or you can simply pay what you presently owe and move on with your life. The longer you wait to try to address the issue, the less likely it is that a court will be willing to grant you any relief -- but the worst that will happen if you try is that the court will say "no".

Okay, thank you all!

1. Sponsored Links