Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Default Re: Can a Neighbor's Fence Put a Pre-Existing Fence Out of Compliance

I've seen plenty of people argue as hard as you over a legal position that they ultimately cannot support, but you usually actually support your positions.

No answer yet - the guy I talked with last week forwarded the issue onto the guy who is in charge of the entire county. We will see what the verdict is soon I hope - if there even is one.

Ok, I FINALLY got a response from the code official at the county level:

"Your neighbor can not create a condition of which your existing conforming property is made non-conforming, it is the responsibility of the local code official when permits for work is issued that a visit is performed and that the CEO does not issue a permit that will create an unsafe condition or violations. You the home owner have no ability to effect your neighbor or his actions. i.e. your neighbor can not create a condition that makes pre-existing legal property illegal or creates a violation. "

I asked him to relay this opinion to my local code guy, and once that is done, I hope that this marks an end to THIS particular drama with my neighbor!

Thanks again to everyone here who posted ideas and gave me things to try and think about - I am truly grateful!

It sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7