Default Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor Charge for Smoking Marijuana With a Minor

My question involves criminal law for the state of: california
    My 17 year old friend and i were caught smoking marijuana in my car at a park... We finished all our weed so they didnt find any on us i personally have a med card and im 18 years old they charged me with a misdemeanor 272a contributing to delinquency of a minor because the friend i was smoking with was 17... Does anyone know whats gonna happen to her they called her parents to come pick her up and took down her information...i believe i have to go to court in february whats gonna happen to me or what i should do?

Default Re: Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor

You should hire a criminal defense attorney.

Is it a very serious matter? I turned 18 like 2 weeks ago

Quote Quoting Julia12345
    View Post
    Do you really want the risk of a criminal record which will haunt you for life?

By the way, this charge carries the risk of jail time as well as a fine.

Quote Quoting Julia12345
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: california
    My 17 year old friend and i were caught smoking marijuana in my car at a park... We finished all our weed so they didnt find any on us
    Well, since both of you and the car reeked of marijuana and you likely both appeared to be high, .I doubt it was a real stretch for the police to figure out what happened.

i personally have a med card and im 18 years old they charged me with a misdemeanor 272a contributing to delinquency of a minor because the friend i was smoking with was 17
    That's what happens when you hang with minors and help them commit criminal acts!

... Does anyone know whats gonna happen to her they called her parents to come pick her up and took down her information...i believe i have to go to court in february whats gonna happen to me or what i should do?
    You can go to jail and pay a large fine. Chances are you'll get probation and fines, but, jail IS a possibility. As such, it's time to get a lawyer. if you cannot afford one, the court can appoint an attorney for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Julia12345
    View Post
    Yes. Here is the potential sentence ...

... shall be punished by a fine not exceeding two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both fine and imprisonment in a county jail, or may be released on probation for a period not exceeding five years.

And you can add about another $1,500 plus in fees and assessments to the total potential fine.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

By the way, it's people like you who abuse the medical cards that ruin it for others. Doesn't California have rules about when and where to use medical marijuana? I'm sure it's not while behind the wheel of a car.

Quote Quoting geek
    View Post
    By the way, it's people like you who abuse the medical cards that ruin it for others. Doesn't California have rules about when and where to use medical marijuana? I'm sure it's not while behind the wheel of a car.
    That would be correct! And, it also does not permit sharing! Or, in this case, distributing! Heck, the OP is lucky ... I would have also charged her with distribution of marijuana to a minor (assuming they made statements to the effect that the MJ belonged to the OP and she shared it with the kid).
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I definitely plan on getting a lawyer i just wanted to see how serious the matter really is and preparing myself for the consequences considering my court date is in february

1. Sponsored Links