Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What Can You Do if Somebody Prints a Photograph You Post Online

I had photos taken by a photographer. She then transferred copyrights over to me. Once I was given the rights, I was able to post the photos. A photo of mine happened to get in the wrong hands of someone that is currently in a bit of conflict with myself. This person then took the image and printed the image for their own home. Do I have any basis or ground to do anything about this? Or should I just ignore it as to not cause anymore issues between us? I do know that it is illegal to steal the work and such, and the photographer isn't very happy about the situation but I don't find its worth it, but I also at the same time don't find it right. I should also mention this photo was placed as a Facebook profile photo under a strictly private page, BUT the person that stole the photo is also blocked and not allowed to access my profile.

Default Re: Copyrights to a Photo

You posted it on Facebook and can't figure out how someone got it? Nothing you post on Facebook is strictly private.

You can block someone but they can log out and find your page online rather easily...and grab your photo. Or get it from someone else.

Unless the person in question is selling copies of the photo, there's nothing you can do.

Quote Quoting geek
    View Post
    You posted it on Facebook and can't figure out how someone got it? Nothing you post on Facebook is strictly private.

You can block someone but they can log out and find your page online rather easily...and grab your photo. Or get it from someone else.

Unless the person in question is selling copies of the photo, there's nothing you can do.
    I know HOW they got it, just know the person in question has been blocked, as several others affiliated with them as well have. Its more the matter my page is completely blocked and private and they still took the photo as their own without permission.

I had that feeling, but wasn't quite sure as it was a photo I paid for and paid for copyrights to. Thank you!

Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post
    I know HOW they got it, just know the person in question has been blocked, as several others affiliated with them as well have. Its more the matter my page is completely blocked and private and they still took the photo as their own without permission.

I had that feeling, but wasn't quite sure as it was a photo I paid for and paid for copyrights to. Thank you!
    And I just explained to you how a blocked person can get a photo. In fact, there are many ways. Going forward, don't post anything you don't want others to see.

An odd statement in your post; the photographer isn't too happy about the situation

if the photographer transfered the copyrights to you the photog is out of the picture. They have nothing to say about the matter.

Now if they didn't transfer the copyrights, unless you had permission to do what you did (a license) you violated their rights. The person that has subsequently used the picture has also violated the rights owners rights as well whether that be you or the photographer.

to transfer copyrights it must be done in writing so do you have a written statement transferring the rights to you?

if you do own the rights contact Facebook about the use of your picture. I don't recall what the terms of service are, regarding Facebook, when posting pictures. They may have a license agreement allowing others to use your pictures but if i recall correctly they don't.

Default Re: What Can You Do if Somebody Prints a Photograph You Post Online

Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post
    A photo of mine happened to get in the wrong hands of someone that is currently in a bit of conflict with myself. This person then took the image and printed the image for their own home.
    How do you know? Why do you care?

Would we be correct in inferring that you have not registered a copyright for the photograph? If not, you can sue only for actual damages -- so, what are your actual damages (out-of-pocket losses, not being offended or having hurt feelings)?

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    An odd statement in your post; the photographer isn't too happy about the situation

if the photographer transfered the copyrights to you the photog is out of the picture. They have nothing to say about the matter.

Now if they didn't transfer the copyrights, unless you had permission to do what you did (a license) you violated their rights. The person that has subsequently used the picture has also violated the rights owners rights as well whether that be you or the photographer.

to transfer copyrights it must be done in writing so do you have a written statement transferring the rights to you?

if you do own the rights contact Facebook about the use of your picture. I don't recall what the terms of service are, regarding Facebook, when posting pictures. They may have a license agreement allowing others to use your pictures but if i recall correctly they don't.
    Who can see my profile picture?

Your profile picture is public. When you add or change your profile picture, it appears in a few different places on Facebook:

A story will be posted on your Timeline and may show up in your friends' News Feeds.
    The photo will appear in your Profile Pictures album.
    A thumbnail version of the photo will appear next to your name in different places throughout Facebook. This helps friends identify your posts and comments on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/help/193629617349922
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

I do have the written copyright transferring them. I only contacted the photographer because I didn't know what to expect or do before I came here.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    How do you know? Why do you care?

Would we be correct in inferring that you have not registered a copyright for the photograph? If not, you can sue only for actual damages -- so, what are your actual damages (out-of-pocket losses, not being offended or having hurt feelings)?
    I know because the said person posted a photo with the photo in it. I care because it is a picture of my child. An underage child at that. You can register copyrights for photos?

Damages wise, I'm not sure if their are any. And is why I came here to find out if I had a case, or what to do.

Yes you can register a photo for copyright purposes. In fact to sue for almost any issue regarding copyright infringement you must register it.

I still cant understand why the photographer would be upset, or even care if he no longer owned the rights to the image. It simply isn't any of his business.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    Yes you can register a photo for copyright purposes. In fact to sue for almost any issue regarding copyright infringement you must register it.

I still cant understand why the photographer would be upset, or even care if he no longer owned the rights to the image. It simply isn't any of his business.
    I did not know that, I probably should do that with my photos then. Does it cost and where can I do such a thing? Thank you!

I think she cares because she is also a friend of the family.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast