Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: What Can You Do if Somebody Prints a Photograph You Post Online

Yes it costs and you do it through the US copyright office.

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/sl35.pdf

As to the photographer being unhappy about it;

. The inclusion the photographer was upset is irrelevant as far as the legal issue is concerned. It would have no more meaning than your husband, mother, cousin, or third grade teacher being upset.

Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post
    I did not know that, I probably should do that with my photos then. Does it cost and where can I do such a thing? Thank you!
    You need it prior to suing in FEDERAL court. Yes it costs...see www.copyright.gov.
    I think she cares because she is also a friend of the family.
    Well if she has no rights, her "caring" isn't worth a hill of beans.

Thank you both! I just mentioned it because I had contacted her too.

Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post
    I had photos taken by a photographer. She then transferred copyrights over to me. Once I was given the rights, I was able to post the photos. A photo of mine happened to get in the wrong hands of someone that is currently in a bit of conflict with myself. This person then took the image and printed the image for their own home. Do I have any basis or ground to do anything about this? Or should I just ignore it as to not cause anymore issues between us? I do know that it is illegal to steal the work and such, and the photographer isn't very happy about the situation but I don't find its worth it, but I also at the same time don't find it right. I should also mention this photo was placed as a Facebook profile photo under a strictly private page, BUT the person that stole the photo is also blocked and not allowed to access my profile.
    Quote Quoting BooRennie
    View Post
    Who can see my profile picture?

Your profile picture is public. When you add or change your profile picture, it appears in a few different places on Facebook:

A story will be posted on your Timeline and may show up in your friends' News Feeds.
    The photo will appear in your Profile Pictures album.
    A thumbnail version of the photo will appear next to your name in different places throughout Facebook. This helps friends identify your posts and comments on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/help/193629617349922
    Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post
    I do have the written copyright transferring them. I only contacted the photographer because I didn't know what to expect or do before I came here.

I know because the said person posted a photo with the photo in it. I care because it is a picture of my child. An underage child at that. You can register copyrights for photos?

Damages wise, I'm not sure if their are any. And is why I came here to find out if I had a case, or what to do.
    Oh well. YOU made it your FB profile picture, which is publicly displayed. I'd suggest that if you DON'T want your child's photo in public to stop using it in public places. You have NO ONE to blame but yourself.
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

But the owner of the rights publishing the picture on Facebook does not give license to anybody to copy it. The op can put it on their Facebook page but if another copies it and prints it or publishers it on their page it is copyright infringement.

The only possible exception is what Facebook may impose as a mandatory licensing agreement

but if I recall they claim a license for their purposes as long as you leave the picture on your page but that license does not extend to any others.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    You need it prior to suing in FEDERAL court. Yes it costs...see www.copyright.gov.
    Copyright infringement cases may be brought only in federal district court; copyright cases cannot be litigated in any state court. 28 U.S.C. 1338(a) expressly denies jurisdiction to state courts for cases relating to patents, copyrights, and plant variety protection.

Registration is required prior to filing suit but not prior to the infringement. However, if the work is registered prior to infringement then statutory damages may be awarded and registration within 5 years of creating the work confers additional benefits. In short, the earlier you register it, the better your protection of the work and your remedies should any infringement occur.

Yep, I believe that's what I said. Thanks for additional exposition.

Nothing you can do because they are not profiting from it. You can ask them nicely to take it down from their FB page and their home but it's up to them. I'm not sure why anyone would hang a photo of some stranger's kid on their wall.

And since they grabbed the image from facebook, the print itself is probably very poor quality. Especially if they blew it up. Unless somehow you posted a hi-res image on FB somehow.

Quote Quoting vbx
    View Post
    Nothing you can do because they are not profiting from it. You can ask them nicely to take it down from their FB page and their home but it's up to them. I'm not sure why anyone would hang a photo of some stranger's kid on their wall.

And since they grabbed the image from facebook, the print itself is probably very poor quality. Especially if they blew it up. Unless somehow you posted a hi-res image on FB somehow.
    not true at all. It does not require the infringer profiting to be illegal infringement. Profiting or not can play in to damages but it does not make a infringement into a legal use of they do not profit from the use.

The mere fact of duplicating it is a volation. Those are rights held by the owner of the copyrights.

Removing it or not from their FB page is not up to the infringed. It is based on the contract betwee Facebook and the owner of the copyrights.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post

Removing it or not from their FB page is not up to the infringed. It is based on the contract betwee Facebook and the owner of the copyrights.
    The holder of the copyright may not have any contract with Facebook and the holder’s rights are determined initially by federal copyright law. (And yes, there are still those out there who do not have a Facebook account. I'm one of them. It might be heresy in the eyes of Facebook users but I hate Facebook. )

If the holder has a contract with Facebook that contract might address this sort of situation, but that's not a given. One would have to read that contract.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast