Default Can You Sue for Defamation Over Statements That Do Not Name You

My question involves defamation in the state of: Michigan

If I am able to tell that someone is defaming me on this board, without using my name but sharing details that make me identifiable or that I can prove back to me, as I know its defamation because everything the person has said is completely untrue and I have proof against it, would I have a case?

I have read a few times on here that defamation cases are costly, I already have a lawyer from a previous case is it even worth it to go to court over?

What all would I need to know regarding defamation to have a case. I don't like that I am being defamed, but I also find that it will probably only make things tougher on my end and wont probably stop others from talking or lying. Should I even think of going about doing anything about it?

Default Re: Defamation of Character

Well, what damages have you actually suffered? Have your feeling hurt is not sufficient, nor is the possibility of negative consequences - you need actual harm.

As for the cost, you can expect to have to pony up something near $25,000+ and two to three years just to play. And if all you are suffering is some semi-anonymous comments on a message board that you believe refer to you, I cannot imagine that you have suffered anywhere near that amount of harm.

If you are being called names or despaired on a web board, you can buy into it and respond, you can ask the site's admin to delete the post, you can ignore it, or you can stop hanging out on the site. Butm hiring an attorney to try and file a suit is likely a waste of time ... and you may not even get an attorney to spend time on the matter.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Default Re: Can You Sue for Defamation Over Statements That Do Not Name You

Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post

If I am able to tell that someone is defaming me on this board, without using my name but sharing details that make me identifiable or that I can prove back to me, as I know its defamation because everything the person has said is completely untrue and I have proof against it, would I have a case?

I have read a few times on here that defamation cases are costly, I already have a lawyer from a previous case is it even worth it to go to court over?

What all would I need to know regarding defamation to have a case. I don't like that I am being defamed, but I also find that it will probably only make things tougher on my end and wont probably stop others from talking or lying. Should I even think of going about doing anything about it?
    Telling lies does not necessarily equal defamation.

Here's the thing. You'll need a whole boatload of money, and you should expect every aspect of your personal life to become public fodder. To paraphrase a very, very wise judge:

If you win, expect nothing to change.

If you lose, expect nothing to change.

Unless you're rich and/or famous, defamation suits are just not going to be worth litigating. They can't be litigated in small claims in your state, so you'd have to go to a higher court, and that's when your costs start mounting. And mounting. And then some more. You won't be able to collect a judgment, so ask yourself what exactly you hope to gain.

You're talking about a message board. First rule of message boards: Idiots abound.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post

(very off topic - but I saw your screen-name and almost fell over laughing because I'm also browsing a particularly vitriolic web forum and one of the members has a gif of that as her/his signature line! )

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Well, what damages have you actually suffered? Have your feeling hurt is not sufficient, nor is the possibility of negative consequences - you need actual harm.

As for the cost, you can expect to have to pony up something near $25,000+ and two to three years just to play. And if all you are suffering is some semi-anonymous comments on a message board that you believe refer to you, I cannot imagine that you have suffered anywhere near that amount of harm.

If you are being called names or despaired on a web board, you can buy into it and respond, you can ask the site's admin to delete the post, you can ignore it, or you can stop hanging out on the site. Butm hiring an attorney to try and file a suit is likely a waste of time ... and you may not even get an attorney to spend time on the matter.
    Harm wise, emotional issues as this isn't the first thing they have done to me as of recently. They have also gone as far as harassing me and had to have things deleted from another message board.

The person didn't call me names, they threw out lots to show many lies and things I have proof against. I am not going to name names or say much without letting my own identity out unless I have confirmation of a bit of confidence and only would I say anything in a message instead of through a post. But don't worry, I have plans to ignore it and let them think they have won and I haven't seen such things said.. I have nowhere near around that amount of money, nor if I did do I think Id spend on a case, I just wondered my options. Thank you!

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    Telling lies does not necessarily equal defamation.

Here's the thing. You'll need a whole boatload of money, and you should expect every aspect of your personal life to become public fodder. To paraphrase a very, very wise judge:

If you win, expect nothing to change.

If you lose, expect nothing to change.

Unless you're rich and/or famous, defamation suits are just not going to be worth litigating. They can't be litigated in small claims in your state, so you'd have to go to a higher court, and that's when your costs start mounting. And mounting. And then some more. You won't be able to collect a judgment, so ask yourself what exactly you hope to gain.

You're talking about a message board. First rule of message boards: Idiots abound.

- - - Updated - - -

(very off topic - but I saw your screen-name and almost fell over laughing because I'm also browsing a particularly vitriolic web forum and one of the members has a gif of that as her/his signature line! )

I see what you are saying and I gave it some thought and agree with what you are saying. Basically a lose lose type situation. It doesn't do anything either way as people are going to talk of you no matter what anyway. And I do know that lies aren't the only basis of defamation, but that is also why I asked. To know what, if anything I needed to know about it if I were to pursue anything. I just know that the person has clearly said a good amount of things against me on here and things that hold specific to things I know and can point to knowing its me. And have even impersonated another within posts. And that I can prove as well. As others I know, have also noticed. Thank you again for help!

OT: Haha! Amusing! I thought the username was quite perfect for a web message board such as this!

Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post
    Harm wise, emotional issues as this isn't the first thing they have done to me as of recently. They have also gone as far as harassing me and had to have things deleted from another message board.

The person didn't call me names, they threw out lots to show many lies and things I have proof against. I am not going to name names or say much without letting my own identity out unless I have confirmation of a bit of confidence and only would I say anything in a message instead of through a post. But don't worry, I have plans to ignore it and let them think they have won and I haven't seen such things said.. I have nowhere near around that amount of money, nor if I did do I think Id spend on a case, I just wondered my options. Thank you!

I see what you are saying and I gave it some thought and agree with what you are saying. Basically a lose lose type situation. It doesn't do anything either way as people are going to talk of you no matter what anyway. And I do know that lies aren't the only basis of defamation, but that is also why I asked. To know what, if anything I needed to know about it if I were to pursue anything. I just know that the person has clearly said a good amount of things against me on here and things that hold specific to things I know and can point to knowing its me. And have even impersonated another within posts. And that I can prove as well. As others I know, have also noticed. Thank you again for help!

OT: Haha! Amusing! I thought the username was quite perfect for a web message board such as this!
    I find your post - this thread, in fact - to be quite ... how do I put this? Interesting.

Quote Quoting Dogmatique
    View Post
    I find your post - this thread, in fact - to be quite ... how do I put this? Interesting.
    And why is that?

Quote Quoting byefelicia
    View Post
    And this has caused you how much in actual damages ... in real dollars?

The person didn't call me names, they threw out lots to show many lies and things I have proof against. I am not going to name names or say much without letting my own identity out unless I have confirmation of a bit of confidence and only would I say anything in a message instead of through a post. But don't worry, I have plans to ignore it and let them think they have won and I haven't seen such things said..
    Bullies win when you respond to them. Ignore them and they tend to get bored and go away.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    And this has caused you how much in actual damages ... in real dollars?

Bullies win when you respond to them. Ignore them and they tend to get bored and go away.
    I guess none, so I am where I thought I would be. No case. Which, Im okay with.

And I have no plans to respond to them, so thank you!

1. Sponsored Links