Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Can license reinstated after getting a license while suspended in another state?

It appears your friend has 60 days from establishing residency in VT to obtain for a license.

Per dmv.vermont.gov

"You must obtain a Vermont Driver License upon establishing residency in this state. This must be done no longer than 60 days after moving to Vermont or, if your out-of-state license expires before the end of this 60-day period, you must obtain a Vermont Driver License before it expires (whichever occurs first)."

Default Re: Can license reinstated after getting a license while suspended in another state?

JK, thanks for the help. It is like pulling teeth with trying to tell him to just go ahead and get MA cleared up. His biggest fear is the process going forward in VT (not VA). Right now, MA is doing a search to make sure he doesn't have any legal issues. He has a clean record in NY, but is afraid that while they do their standard search, VT might find the existing license in NY and then charge him with driving under suspension (for 17 years!). Perhaps that information won't come up and he will be O.K., but he is sweating it out right now. It takes about 2 weeks for the search and then the payment process. I told him that MA doesn't necessarily share motor vehicle information with many other states and that it shouldn't be an issue. And if it is, they really can only claim that he lied (or made a mistake) on his application for a license in NY 17 years ago. If he did it without truly knowing he was under suspension, perhaps they won't make an issue of this after so many years. Or, what he is scared of, he will be penalized for 17 years of this mistake. Who knows. I will be happy to let you know the outcome, if you are interested. You have been a great help. Thanks again.

If he had a valid right to a NY license, MA cannot charge him with driving on a suspended license since all they can control is his driving privileges within MA. MA cannot enforce their laws in another state NY can issue a license on their own regardless of the applicants driving privileges in any other state. It may have been in error but they can't go back and change it now.

The only exception, and it should have been realized at the time of a stop, is if he was stopped while driving in MA. Even if a person has a valid license in another state, any state can suspend a driver's privelages to drive within their state. If he had been stopped while driving in MA, it should have been discovered his privileges were suspended. Since it didn't happen its a moot point.

Thank you Thank you Thank you. That is exactly what I have been trying to say, too. You say it better and it is always good to hear another person's input. You have helped immensely in giving some peace to the anguish my friend is feeling. I have shared your words with him and he will be saying thank you himself in about 10 days. I wish I could send a gift! Thanks again.

Actually, JK is likely incorrect if NY is part of the DL intrastate compact, a license deemed suspended by one state suspends driving privileges in reciprocal states, even if they have already granted the license in that state.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    Actually, JK is likely incorrect if NY is part of the DL intrastate compact, a license deemed suspended by one state suspends driving privileges in reciprocal states, even if they have already granted the license in that state.

they CAN but if they don't, they don't and so far NY has not suspended the license. I think I said it appears it may have slipped between the cracks but if it has, at most NY can suspend the license once the error is discovered. The laws of the other state do not control what happens in any other state. It is simply an information transfer where if the state in question has law that allows that state to impose penalties based upon the actions of other states it can. It does not mandate any action be taken.

additionally it appears MA is not a member of the IDLC.

I think that the interstate compacts lead to a great deal of confusion and the opportunity for people to "fall through the cracks" of a disorganized and confusing system that says one thing and does another. (Government, go figure) Anyway, Disagreeable has a great point and that viewpoint is the viewpoint of my friend. JK, your viewpoint is one I tend toward. But, the proof will be in the pudding, as they say, when my friend gets back the background check from MA in about 10 days. Apparently, they have to check to see if there are other legal issues outstanding before they will issue a letter of clearance in MA, so he can be allowed to gain a license in VT. It is during that process that we will wait to see if there is a red flag regarding the existing license in NY. If there isn't, my assumption is that he can get the license in VT (after paying the fines, of course), and surrender his license in NY. We shall see. Thanks to both of you for presenting the reality: things are never what they seem in the bureaucracy of government systems.

MA is not a party to the idlc so it really doesn't matter what the idlc states since MA does not publish their information. I would have to guess that is why NY was not aware of the suspension.

All states subscribe to the NDR. A suspension will block renewal/new licenses these days.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    All states subscribe to the NDR. A suspension will block renewal/new licenses these days.
    Apparently not when op obtained their NY license though and apparently NY has not subsequently suspended op's NY license so....

op still has a valid NY license and is in the process of fixing the MA issue so I'm just not seeing a problem here

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast