Default Medicare Part B

What is Medicare Part B and how do I qualify for it?

Default Medicare Part B

Medicare Part B (medical insurance) covers such costs and outpatient hospital care, medical equipment and supplies, and doctor bills. It does not have a work history requirement. With a few exceptions (certain people receiving Social Security disability benefits and those requiring dialysis or transplant for end-stage kidney disease), you would qualify at age 65.

The program is paid for through monthly premiums, and a significant government subsidy. In most cases the premium is deducted from the beneficiary's Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or Civil Service Retirement checks.

If you work past the age of 65, you can choose to defer enrollment in Medicare Part B; however, you should be sure to enroll within a month of retirement, to protect yourself against unexpected medical expenses. Even if you have regular coverage, as insurance programs expect you to have Medicaid Part B after retirement, your policy may (and is likely to) make you responsible for any amounts which would otherwise be paid under that program even if you have not yet enrolled.

1. Sponsored Links