Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Can a City Plow Snow onto a Public Sidewalk and Require a Business to Shovel It O

I don't know the layout of the mall, are the business internal or external to the mall, for example. Is there a parking lot between the mall and the road? So I can only speculate.

I don't recall that there was any posting about tenant-landlord agreements on snow removal. But as posted, OP says that code enforcement told them that they were responsible for clearing the sidewalk.

That just doesn't make sense.

Default Re: Can a City Plow Snow onto a Public Sidewalk and Require a Business to Shovel It O

Yes, it does. It's perfectly rational for an ordinance to hold a tenant responsible for snow removal. If the tenant wants to work out a different arrangement with the landlord, the tenant is free to do so.

OK, but one tenant in an otherwise vacant mall responsible for all the road frontage? I just don't see that.

Quote Quoting budwad
    View Post
    OK, but one tenant in an otherwise vacant mall responsible for all the road frontage? I just don't see that.
    I have a problem with that as well. I have never seen that happen in my city. Here, its always the landlords that are responsible.

Is this a strip mall with each storefront having it's own exterior access, or a larger mall with stores accessed through interior walkways? If the first, the tenant is only responsible for the sidewalk directly in front of their shop unless it's specified differently in the lease. If a regular mall, then the building owner is responsible.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2