Default Can a Title Loan Lender Keep Your Title as Collateral for Another Loan

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Tennessee.
    I have been paying on a title loan for over a year, I also have a signature loan with the same company. I make both payments on the 3rd of every month. When I made my payments this month I was informed that they are no longer doing title or signature loans, that they are only doing personal loans. So I have a remaining balance on the title loan of $375 and a $400 balance on the signature loan, and that next month when I pay the title off they will hold the title and use that as collateral for the other loan which originally was a signature loan. How can they legally keep my title I already pay extremely high interest and thought I was going to be getting my title back after paying extremely high interest for over a year on the title loan its like I'm being forced to use my title and car as collateral for another loan when that was not what I agreed to with the signature loan....

Default Re: Title Loans

You will need to read your loan contracts to determine what they can and cannot do.

Default Re: Can a Title Loan Lender Keep Your Title as Collateral for Another Loan

Quote Quoting Jmn22
    View Post
    How can they legally keep my title I already pay extremely high interest and thought I was going to be getting my title back after paying extremely high interest for over a year on the title loan its like I'm being forced to use my title and car as collateral for another loan when that was not what I agreed to with the signature loan....
    Maybe you did agree to it - in your contracts.

Many such contracts often have a cross-collateralization provision.

Read both your contracts.

Default Re: Can a Title Loan Lender Keep Your Title as Collateral for Another Loan

Many security agreements also encompass future advances secured by the collateral. It gives the company a greater incentive to make a loan to someone who would otherwise not be credit-worthy. You ask how they can do this, but the flip question is how can you expect them to loan you money if you don't have a good credit score without you posting some kind of collateral?

1. Sponsored Links