Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Becoming a Police Officer With an Expunged Felony Record

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Oklahoma.

I was a 18 years old when I plead guilty to a felony of "unauthorized use of a motor vehicle", and I received a 4 year deferred probation sentence. I finished the sentence a year early and the courts sealed and expunged the charge. Therefore, no conviction obviously, but could I still pursue a field in law enforcement? I was young and stupid, I took my second chance and ran with it. I am now 25 and a completely different and changed man. But would they hold this against me? Are there any ways around this?

Default Re: Can I Be a Police Officer if I'm Arrested but Not Convicted of a Felony

The police department will still have access to the charge and resolution. Based on the time between them I doubt you will be accepted.

Default Re: Can I Be a Police Officer if I'm Arrested but Not Convicted of a Felony

Is this an automatic bar under the law? No, but any agency looking to hire you will investigate the issue and make their own determination. Depending on the details of the case and what you have done in the intervening years, this may be a big whopping nothing.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

yes you were still convicted of a felony, and your background check will show that.

Quote Quoting Chandlerhow
    View Post
    would they hold this against me?
    They could, but whether they would or not depends on the police department.

Take a look at Title 70, Section 3311, of the Oklahoma Statutes.

Although your case was expunged, you still participated in a deferred sentence agreement for a felony. This is an automatic disqualifier under 70-3311. However, the section says you are eligible if you can manage to get a full pardon. Good luck with that!

Title 70-3311 states you can be qualified to be a peace officer if "such person is not participating in a deferred sentence agreement for a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude".
    I am no longer participating in a deferred sentence agreement, for I have completed that agreement. My record is expunged and sealed, I see no where in the statue that states it is automatic disqualification for someone who has participated in a deferred sentence ever before in their life. What do you think? Thank you

I agree that the language suggests current participation, not past participation.

I was not convicted of a felony, my lawyer who I paid thousands to made that very clear by her and the District attorney.

Regardless of if it is an automatic DQ or not, it puts you behind similarly qualified candidates who haven't committed crimes.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast