Default Can Your Driver's License be Suspended in a State Where You've Never Held a License

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: Virginia/Tennessee

I had a license in Virginia that was suspended due to several traffic violations (speeding, driving uninspected vehicle, driving on a suspended license). I moved to Tennessee, then to Missouri. I paid off all of my fees in Virginia, and Virginia has checked, double checked, and triple checked that I am completely clear by the state to obtain a license again. Tennessee has put a hold on my license for, and I quote, "Your license is being held due to convictions in the State of Virginia until you pay a reinstatement fee of 150$ to the state of Tennessee."

As a note, I have never had, or attempted to obtain a license in Tennessee. I have also never been pulled over, ticketed, convicted or even charged with any type of violation at all in the state of Tennessee. I lived there a few months, and reported it to Virginia DMV that my address was a Tennessee address.

Does this sound right? If not, what are my options to avoid paying the fee?

Default Re: License is Being Held by a State I Never Held a License In

Sorry, only one option. Pay the fee if you want a TN license. TN has absolutely no obligation to give you a license unless it's under TN's terms.

Now that you are a resident there, if you drive on a VA license you risk getting pulled over and getting multiple citations, on for failing to get a TN license and one for driving on a TN suspension.

If that happens it will cost you a lot more than the $150.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not attempting to get a license in TN. I never had one, and never tried to get one there. I'm trying to get one in Missouri, but can't because Tennessee has a hold on me there for something to happened in virginia.

Quote Quoting Franky Kilgannon
    View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm not attempting to get a license in TN. I never had one, and never tried to get one there. I'm trying to get one in Missouri, but can't because Tennessee has a hold on me there for something to happened in virginia.
    Oh, OK, I didn't catch that Missouri thing. But the results are the same. If Missouri won't issue you a license because of the Tennessee hold, you'll have to pay Tennessee to release the hold.

It's all a bureaucratic mess but Missouri has its rules and Tennessee has the leverage to rip you off for $150.

Quote Quoting Franky Kilgannon
    View Post
    Under Tennessee law, you were required to get a license in that state within thirty days of establishing residency in that state. As the state knows that you did not follow the law by getting a license, and knows that you were driving by virtue of the fact that you received tickets and used your Tennessee address as your address of record when you received those tickets, they presumably feel entirely justified in imposing the reinstatement fee.

1. Sponsored Links