Default Business Owner is Overseas and Husband Needs to Finish Startup and Run Business

My question involves business law in the state of: Nebraska

One of our distributors started to open his business, but he was sent overseas before he could complete the setup. He asked my husband and I to run it for him while he was away. Now my husband needs to setup a bank account, credit card processing co, etc. I was just going to set up a Power of Attorney for him (principle) to give my husband (agent) the authority to carryout the decisions that they make. That way we won't need to constantly be faxing to get his signature.

Is a POA the right document to get? And if it is, Can he get it notarized in the country he is in? He is stationed on a US Base.

Thank you

Default Re: Business Owner is Overseas and Husband Needs to Finish Startup and Run Business

I hear the alarm bells going off in my head.

A POA (even one executed in a foreign country) might authorize you to act for the business owner but it's highly unlikely that US financial institutions (banks, credit cards services, etc) are going to give it the time of day.

Worse, you'd have to be pretty damned foolish to get into this deal without a written contract drawn up by your attorney to protect your financial future from going into the toilet.

And if you have to ask what can go wrong, then I don't know what to tell you.

1. Sponsored Links