Default Distracted Driving Ticket for Using a Cell Phone While Driving

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Washington

I was recently given a traffic fine for using my cell phone while driving. As I understand it, as my first infraction, this will appear on my driving record but not be reported to my employer or to my insurance agent. Is that correct?

I have a few additional questions:
    1) How long will this take to clear off my record?

2) I was thinking of asking for a mitigation hearing to get the $139 fine reduced. I bought a hands free kit and also have a very clean driving record. Can I do that by mail? Should I send a letter with my fine? Would it be worth it to do that?

3) I also came across information on deferrals in this forum. This option seems to not make sense in my case as this infraction is not going to be reported to any one that matters any way, and actually looks like it may cost more than just going ahead and paying for the fine. Also, it may come back and kick me in the butt if I do get another more serious violation within the year. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks in advance for anyone that has any advice or insight.

Default Re: Distracted Driving - Options - Washington State

Quote Quoting littlemt
    View Post

I was recently given a traffic fine for using my cell phone while driving. As I understand it, as my first infraction, this will appear on my driving record but not be reported to my employer or to my insurance agent. Is that correct?

1) How long will this take to clear off my record?
    According to the statute (RCW 46.61.667) it doesn't go on your driving record at all. See Paragraph 6:

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.61.667

Quote Quoting littlemt
    View Post

2) I was thinking of asking for a mitigation hearing to get the $139 fine reduced. I bought a hands free kit and also have a very clean driving record. Can I do that by mail? Should I send a letter with my fine? Would it be worth it to do that?

3) I also came across information on deferrals in this forum. This option seems to not make sense in my case as this infraction is not going to be reported to any one that matters any way, and actually looks like it may cost more than just going ahead and paying for the fine. Also, it may come back and kick me in the butt if I do get another more serious violation within the year. Is my understanding correct?
    You're over-thinking the rest of that.

Pay it.

Be done with it.

By the way, just talking on the phone while driving (even without holding it) is a distraction that can get you killed.

Quote Quoting littlemt
    View Post
    Do you possess a Commercial Drivers License? If so you must report the violation to your employer within 24 hours of receiving the violation. Once again, that's 24 hours of receiving, not being found guilty or pleading to the violation. It is mandatory that you notify regardless if you are in a commercial or your personal vehicle.

In a commercial vehicle requiring a CDL, the fine is about $3,000 as I recollect.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    In a commercial vehicle requiring a CDL, the fine is about $3,000 as I recollect.
    Yes I think it is really close to that. I hear it's $2,700.

1. Sponsored Links