Default How to Evict My Girlfriend from My Apartment

My question involves an eviction in: Los Angeles, California

I need to end a 2 year relationship with a woman who's not going to accept it and I don't know how I'm going to get her out of my apartment. She's emotionally unstable and I fear she could get violent and destructive when I end the relationship.

I rent an apartment in Los Angeles. The lease and utilities are under my name but from what I've learned so far is I'd have to give her 30 days notice and if she still refused to move out I'd have to go to court. I pay the rent, cable and about 80% of all expenses. She buys the food and pays for most of the utilities. In my situation, living under the same roof with my gf after breaking up with her won't be possible. She has serious anger issues and as I said earlier she could become physical and destructive.

I'm thinking of ending the lease on my apartment and moving out without her. I'd move out with 7-10 days left on my old apartments lease and after moving out I'd give her the news, leaving her 7-10 days to find a new place. She has an aunt who lives 10 minutes away and she could move back to her place.

This isn't the way I want to end my relationship. I still care very much about my gf and I'm worried about her well being and how this is going to affect her....but I can't be with her any longer. The relationship is too dysfunctional and stressful.

Finally my question...

If I move out of my apartment and only give my gf 7-10 days notice could she take legal action against me?

If I don't move what are my legal options to get her out?

FYI. In 2010 my gf was arrested and spent a month in jail for disturbing the peace. She was accused of threatening another woman with a knife. She also told me she got an ex boyfriend arrested too.

Default Re: Evicting Crazy Girl Friend from My Apartment in Los Angeles

You need to evict her per the law in California - which is very, very tenant-friendly.

What happened in 2010 doesn't matter at all.

If YOU leave, and she's not on the lease, you're in a mess. She is a tenant, legally, and I doubt your landlord will be too thrilled.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...victions.shtml

Are you subletting with your landlord's permission?

Default Re: How to Evict My Girlfriend from My Apartment

Quote Quoting George1
    View Post
    FYI. In 2010 my gf was arrested and spent a month in jail for disturbing the peace. She was accused of threatening another woman with a knife. She also told me she got an ex boyfriend arrested too.
    When you find people with this sort of stuff in their background, you FLEE from them, you don't DATE them. Now you're learning this the hard way. And anyone who tells you that they spent a month in jail for disturbing the peace is a flat out liar, too. Try aggrevated assault or similar. She might have agreed to do time as part of a plea deal to get the charge reduced - but the key words for you to focus on are KNIFE and THREATENED. What HAPPENED is much more important that what charge she might have pled down.

I'd move out with 7-10 days left on my old apartments lease and after moving out I'd give her the news, leaving her 7-10 days to find a new place.
    You forgot the other option: you leave once your lease is up, and she decides to stay. You let her move in, without putting her on the lease. No No No and No. And a thundering smack in the face with a rolled up newspaper. NO! Guess who the landlord is gonna come after once you're out and she decides to start tearing out walls or doing some other major damage? Ga 'head, guess. Guess who the landlord is gonna sue for allowing such a person to live there as a tenant - a tenant that the landlord will now have to evict.

If it were me, I'd put everything but my toothbrush, toothpaste, and a gallon each of milk and ice cream (cause really, what is life without them?), into a storage unit. If you'll only be talking about a month, they're not very expensive, and, if litte miss violence has nothing to eat on, sleep on, watch TV on, or a TV to watch, that might provide her with a little motivation to seek a new place of her own.

1. Sponsored Links