Default What Evidence Can Be Used to Prove a Shoplifting Charge

I just want to know the types of evidence that the police can use against shoplifters. If i were to enter the fitting room with a piece of clothing and come out with empty hands, and the CCTV caught it, is it enough evidence ?

Default Re: Shoplifting Investigation Queries

Certainly it is evidence. Whether it's sufficient evidence alone remains to be seen. However, we don't do hypothetical situations here and this is not the how do I break the law and get away with it forum. Don't shoplift, it's against the law.

By itself it would not be enough to convict you since you could have simply left the item(s) in the fitting room. However, combined with other evidence it certainly could help to convict you. For example, if the store loss prevention people went into that fitting room right after you left it and those items were nowhere to be seen then the logical conclusion would be that you were hiding the items somewhere on you and thus committed theft. Shoplifting is a stupid crime. The value of goods taken is typically not much and getting busted for a theft offense typically comes with a high cost. Among other things, many employers won’t hire thieves for obvious reasons; they don’t want to be the next theft victim.

Thanks for the advice guys. What if no staff were present throughout my entire visit to the department store? The staff were all at the counters.

Sorry, we are not here to teach you how to shoplift.

Sorry i'm not trying to learn how to shoplift, i just want to know if the evidence is enough. I dont intend to shoplift after this

Quote Quoting brandy25
    View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. What if no staff were present throughout my entire visit to the department store? The staff were all at the counters.
    And you know that no staff was available how? Loss prevention people are not always easily seen, after all. In any event, it does no good to play out all kinds of hypothetical situations here. If you stole something there is always the possibility that you might be caught and prosecuted. Will that happen from this? No way to know. You just have to wait and see if the store ever does anything.

1. Sponsored Links