Default Does a Landlord Have to Run Credit Checks on Your Proposed Roommates

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: California

Okay so me and my boyfriend moved into a 2bd 2 ba apartment may 1st and we had to jump through quite a few hoops. They did the normal credit check & background check. They were originally asking for an $800 dollar deposit but since neither of us had any rental history they wanted $1,000. So we obliged, they also wanted a cosigner but since we gave them an extra $200 they didn't require it. I also had a problem with my credit because i owe for school but after talking to someone in corporate they let us in. Well fast forward to August and we had found roommates. (a guy and his girlfriend) well according to our rental agreement we have to have anyone that stays over 2 weeks be added to the lease. So we let our property manager know and he said that he would add them. Well me and my boyfriend found out like a week ago that they ONLY ran a background check on them. They didn't run their credit. They didn't require them to put any security deposit down whatsoever. So our $1,000 dollars is covering whatever damage they do. Our property manager also told us they were let in so easily because of my boyfriends credit. I don't think it is right that we are financially responsible for whatever damage they do. I also don't think it is right that we had to jump through hoops and they didn't have to go through anything. I was wondering how we should go about getting them to pay half of the security deposit since our landlord or whatever you want to call it didn't do it.

Default Re: Does a Landlord Have to Run Credit Checks on Your Proposed Roommates

If you added them to your lease, they gain the benefit of your security deposit and can ride along on your credit.

If you don't think that the roommates you choose are trustworthy, you need to do a better job in the future of screening your roommates.

Default Re: Does a Landlord Have to Run Credit Checks on Your Proposed Roommates

it has nothing to do with trust...why should I pay for their security deposit? so whatever they do to the room I have to pay for, No thanks. You didn't answer one question. no help whatsoever

This isn't your landlord's problem. It's YOUR problem. No, the landlord doesn't HAVE TO do anything, have to check credit, or backgrounds, or anything else. If you were foolish enough to ask for people to be added to your lease that you don't trust, that's on YOU, not the landlord. The landlord already HAS someone to come after. You just learned the hard and scary way not to just add people's names to your lease. You should have either asked the landlord to craft a new lease with all four persons being equal and paying equal security deposit, or, created a lease yourself with the two newbies (which might have violated your current lease). The bottom line is that you made an agreement. The landlord doesn't have to go in behind you and make it fair.

1. Sponsored Links