Angry Call Center Employees Dealing With Prank Callers

My question involves criminal law for the state of: South Dakota.

I work at a call center. And all of our calls are recorded. The prank callers are not being funny. They use vulgar language and tell me to suck their balls or something of that nature. They call over and over again. They accuse me of sleeping around and cheating on them even though I have never met them. My phone does have caller ID however they are using a service that makes the numbers they call on temporary. They leave me crying every night because it brings up my past rape experiences,especially when they call me a Bitch and Cunt. The problem is that my company won't do anything about it. They tell us to ask them to be professional and if they are not we can disconnect. We are told to endure this torture if they pretend like it is a concern of our client. We are told to play along sometimes. We aren't allowed to stand up for ourselves when they make vulgar statements about what they plan to do to me. This can't be legal.

Default Re: Prank Calls

I work in a call center too. Exactly what is it that you expect your employer to do about it? How do you propose that they stop the callers from calling? They've told you to disconnect if they don't act professionally. What is it that you think they should be doing?

I don't know what can be done. That is why I am on here. They call about 50 times a night every night. Before we tell them we are disconnecting they scream as loud as they can into my ear. But We disconnect and they call right back. They told us that they could block those callers but they haven't. I asked for different hours so I don't have to deal with them, but they won't. I feel like no one cares. Isn't this illegal? This can't be okay to do to someone.

Isn't what illegal? Making the calls? Refusing to block the numbers? Not changing your shift?

Making the pranks calls, is it illegal? To be calling repeatedly and using vulgar language such as using a llama to rape me with.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried to change my shifts but they won't let me. I have begged them but they said no. I love my job except for this aspect. I would be okay if the pranks were only a few a day but it's not..it's over 50 in a 3 hour time span.

- - - Updated - - -

If I am being stupid about this let me know. I'll take the abuse from these guys. Maybe I deserve it then. Sorry for starting this thread. I thought I would be getting answers but I guess this legal help is bull shit. There is no help here

No one deserves abuse. I just don't know what legal action you can take.

Making prank calls isn't illegal. However, if they threaten you, it would be illegal.

Telling someone to suck their balls, isn't illegal.

Telling someone that they will rape them, is a threat and should be reported to the police.

Your other option would be to quit your job.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Default Re: Call Center Employees Dealing With Prank Callers

It is not your employers fault they are calling any more than if it happened at your home. I suspect however it is in retribution for the type of work at the call center.

Default Re: Call Center Employees Dealing With Prank Callers

It sounds like you need to find another line of work. I cannot see any police agency spending any time on this given you know these to be prank calls, even those with threats. As you stated they hide their phone number so just what would you expect the police to do? They have much more serious issues to deal with so they are not going to dedicate a lot of time and money for some prank phone calls. Your line of work tends to invite such activity so your most likely solution is to find another line of work where such activity is not common.

1. Sponsored Links