Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Semi Towed for Parking at the Edge of a Private Road

Hello my question is what are Alabama laws on parking on the side of a private road over night...My truck was about to be towed on a private road that sit between a mini shopping center were little traffic flow i got there before the truck pulled off and payed a 175 dollar fee for the release of it.... but time to time i have parked there for years up the road from there business not blocking are in ones way.... can the law back them on towing your truck with out warning you are have signs that state no parking on this road are you will be towed at owner expense what do Alabama laws back for parking on a private road...

Default Re: Semi Towed for Parking on Side of Private Road by Reality Company

You have to have the owner's permission to park on a private road. If you do not have that permission, the owner may have the vehicle towed.
    Section 13A-7-4.1
    Criminal trespass by motor vehicle.

(a) A person commits the offense of criminal trespass by motor vehicle when the person, after having been requested not to do so by a uniformed law enforcement officer or by a properly identified owner or an authorized agent of the owner, parks or stands an occupied or unoccupied motor vehicle in, or repeatedly drives a motor vehicle through or within, a parking area which is located on privately owned property and is provided by a merchant, a group of merchants, or a shopping center or other similar facility for customers if:

(1) The parking area is identified by at least one sign as specified in this paragraph, and if the parking area contains more than 150 parking spaces, then by at least one such sign for every 150 parking spaces, each such sign shall be substantially as follows:
    Notice
    Private Property

Entry restricted to our tenants, their customers, employees and invitees. Remaining after proper use is prohibited. Violators may be charged with trespassing.
    Owner of Shopping Center

(2) And the motor vehicle is parked, is standing, or is being operated other than for the purpose of:

a. Transporting some person to or from the interior of the place of business of a merchant identified by the sign or signs in the parking area or to or from the interior of the shopping center or other facility so identified;

b. Making use of a telephone, vending machine, automatic teller machine, or other similar facility located in the parking area;

c. Meeting the requirements of a situation in which it has unexpectedly become impossible or impractical for the motor vehicle to continue to travel on the public roads; or

d. Carrying out an activity for which express permission has been given by the owner of the parking area or an authorized representative of the owner.

(b) A person who commits the offense of criminal trespass by motor vehicle shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by a fine:

(1) Not to exceed $50.00 for the first such offense;

(2) Not to exceed $100.00 for the second such offense; and

(3) Not to exceed $150.00 for the third or subsequent such offense.
    (Acts 1990, No. 90-664, p. 1280, 1, 2.)
    http://alisondb.legislature.state.al.../13A-7-4.1.htm
    Keep it up, and LEO will eventually get involved.

But this road is not identified private road and how can one be trespass if there haven't been requested are by a uniformed law enforcement officer or by a properly identified owner...

- - - Updated - - -

32-13-1
    motor vehicle may remain parked in the district and the motor vehicle remains unattended for a period of time in excess of that posted on the notice; or left unattended in a business district or residence district that has at least one posted notice indicating that only authorized motor vehicles may park in that district and the owner of the motor vehicle or his or her agent has not received the required authority prior to leaving the motor vehicle unattended; or left unattended on a private road or driveway without the express or implied permission of the owner or lessee of the driveway or their agent. A posted notice when required by this chapter shall meet the following specifications: a. The notice shall be prominently placed at each driveway access or curb cut allowing vehicular access to the property, within five feet from the public right-of-way line. If there are no curbs or access barriers, the signs must be posted not less than one sign each 25 feet of lot frontage.

The tow truck was your warning. Find somewhere else to park that rig.

But the law have to be followed and it don't say tow trucks is your warning. we cant go off make up your on laws boo yahoo

Do what you want, then. But don't be surprised if you come back one morning and your truck has been locked in the tow company's lot.

and will they have the legal rights and do the law back them i don't need a reply with something you making up not to be legal laws

you giving me a criminal trespass law no one have trespass anywhere this is a road that is use daily by the public and follow up to a main highway i think you don't get it

Quote Quoting southernbboi
    View Post
    Hello my question is what are Alabama laws on parking on the side of a private road over night...My truck was about to be towed on a private road that sit between a mini shopping center were little traffic flow i got there before the truck pulled off and payed a 175 dollar fee for the release of it.... but time to time i have parked there for years up the road from there business not blocking are in ones way.... can the law back them on towing your truck with out warning you are have signs that state no parking on this road are you will be towed at owner expense what do Alabama laws back for parking on a private road...
    Quote Quoting southernbboi
    View Post
    But this road is not identified private road and how can one be trespass if there haven't been requested are by a uniformed law enforcement officer or by a properly identified owner...
    You said it was a private road TWICE in your initial post, then you're going to claim it isn't a private road?

Continue to park where-ever the hell you want. Don't be surprised if you return to find the spot empty and your rig occupying a spot at the local tow shop. I don't care. I'm not the one paying to get my vehicle out of hock.

It is private property. One of the basic rights of property owners is that get to determine who may and may not come on to their property. You have been warned by the owner’s agent that you may not park there. While you might not be subject to criminal trespass if there isn't proper signage, the owner might still be able to properly tow the car having already informed you that you may not park there. None of the statutes cited in this thread so far directly addresses that issue. You ought to consult a local attorney before parking there again so you know exactly where you stand if you park there again. Otherwise, it might get very expensive for you later.

you still not under standing me yes i no it a private road after the tow truck got under neath it and then they had the reality agent speak via phone with me to inform me... heck like i said there's no signs post it and for years i always park there along with other trucks thought it was a taxi payers road...

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast