Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shoplifting Charges and a Probation Violation in Another State

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

Long story short I was at a point in my life a couple years ago that I simply had no concern for myself and honestly didn't care about anything while eatting hand fulls of pills daily.

Stole from Wal-Mart 3 times and was on probation. Had classes 2 times a week & fines. Instead of being responsible I simply moved 1200 miles away.

I need to make it right, there was a bench and arrest and search warrant issued after of the residence I lived at. They learned that I left. For some reason I was able to find my criminal background before and now it's just gone. My name doesn't show in a data base etc.

I am getting ready to attend college for a degree in substance use and abuse and social work to hopefully help a mis guided person like I was. But I need to fix this.

Even though it's not showing up I know it's there but I really can't afford a lawyer or a trip all the way back to simply turn myself in and do the time.

What should I do? I called the county but they won't release any info via phone. I would imagine since its all petty they would want me to pay my dues via fines if I'm not sitting in jail to close the case.

My public defender wanted to take it to trial for temp insanity as my doc had me on, clonazepam, depakote, Serequil, something else and clonazepam. All high doses. Aka careless and wreckless but nobody held a gun to my head I agreed to continue taking the meds. I just had to get away.

Now that my heads on straight, I work with a great drug free psychiatric. I don't know where to start to get this done and over with. Also don't know why my criminal record was once there and has seemed to vanish. I can't start school until I fix it so it doesn't effect future employment.

Thank you.

Default Re: Retail Fraud 3 Charges All Under 500$ Out of State

Y'know, I really don't know what you should be doing in the legal sense but I just wanted to give you a hearty "Good for you!".

Well done. Turning things around is never as easy as people tend to think.

Thank you! If I could find a place to store my vehicle and knew my fiance could manage living costs alone I would just go back and say hi, I was an idiot I'm here to sit in jail until my fines are paid so I could hopefully have it expunged one day.

Hind sight is 20/20. The pill argument will not work. If it did, I could commit crimes all the time and get off free. Time to return home and face the music before wasting 4 years of college to find out all it is going to get you is a piece of paper to hang on your wall and cry looking at.

That's exactly how I felt. I mean there is a lot of people on medication and they aren't out stealing. Like I said I was a dumb Ass with a care free attitude. Toward myself anyway. I never wanted anyone else to hurt. Did a Damn good job of putting a wrench in my future. I know I could still get hired but it would be luck based. How thoroughly did they search and did it even show up? But I'm not planning on lying to a future employment opportunity. If I started that shit again I might as well cry victim while I'm stealing from stores.

Just trying to find a way to approach it out of state. Worse comes to worse I'm going to have to head back and face the music after we figure out living expenses. Not fair for her to suffer anymore than she already has to for my stupidity.

Quote Quoting James310
    View Post
    That's exactly how I felt. I mean there is a lot of people on medication and they aren't out stealing. Like I said I was a dumb Ass with a care free attitude. Toward myself anyway. I never wanted anyone else to hurt. Did a Damn good job of putting a wrench in my future. I know I could still get hired but it would be luck based. How thoroughly did they search and did it even show up? But I'm not planning on lying to a future employment opportunity. If I started that shit again I might as well cry victim while I'm stealing from stores.

Just trying to find a way to approach it out of state. Worse comes to worse I'm going to have to head back and face the music after we figure out living expenses. Not fair for her to suffer anymore than she already has to for my stupidity.
    I think that you should hire an attorney in the original state to research the matter and see exactly where you stand, before doing anything else. An attorney will have access to resources that may not be available to you.

Yea I found one but he wants a 2,600.00 retainer fee. I'm just going to have to save. Man I can't kick myself in the Ass any harder. Never stole a thing in my life or even committed a crime. Started using pills after a few family matters "as an easy way out" got worse and worse in some I'm high god mode and I don't care attitude. Within 3 months flipped my life upside down. Wait until I'm 31 and become a petty thief. Disgusting. Then just bail instead of being responsible enough to follow my punishment. Thanks for the advice guys / girls. It really is appreciated.

Quote Quoting James310
    View Post
    Yea I found one but he wants a 2,600.00 retainer fee. I'm just going to have to save. Man I can't kick myself in the Ass any harder. Never stole a thing in my life or even committed a crime. Started using pills after a few family matters "as an easy way out" got worse and worse in some I'm high god mode and I don't care attitude. Within 3 months flipped my life upside down. Wait until I'm 31 and become a petty thief. Disgusting. Then just bail instead of being responsible enough to follow my punishment. Thanks for the advice guys / girls. It really is appreciated.
    Call around to a couple of other attorneys. You do not necessarily need someone to fully represent you at this point, you just need someone to do a little research to see where you stand. Once you know that, then you can decide about hiring someone to represent you.

Or, in the alternative, you could hire a PI to investigate you...to do a complete background check. There are companies online that will do that for a couple of hundred dollars.

Quote Quoting James310
    View Post
    I need to make it right, there was a bench and arrest and search warrant issued after of the residence I lived at. They learned that I left. For some reason I was able to find my criminal background before and now it's just gone. My name doesn't show in a data base etc.
    We have no information about what you mean by "the database", but your probation violation will not go away on its own. Your criminal record did not 'vanish' -- it's still there.
    Quote Quoting James310
    I called the county but they won't release any info via phone.
    Some counties have online court records that you could search. What records are available, and what those records contain, will vary by county.
    Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Or, in the alternative, you could hire a PI to investigate you...to do a complete background check. There are companies online that will do that for a couple of hundred dollars.
    He doesn't need to pay anybody to tell him that he violated his probation, or the county in which the probation warrant would have been issued, so that would not be a good use of money.

Default Re: Shoplifting Charges and a Probation Violation in Another State

I suggest you not only retain an attorney to assist you, in addition, try to find one well connected to the court. This may get your story of rehabilitation top the prosecutor and judge who might give you a second chance through deferred prosecution.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast