Default Passing a School Bus Without Realizing That it Happened

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: IL (Chicago) 11-1414

You know that feeling when you wake up in the morning and already know that today will be a bad day? Well I had it today and it was spot on.

While driving to work I got pulled over by state police on a local street (4 line 2 lines west 2 east bound). When the officer stopped me I was shocked to learn that I've passed a school bus. At first I was mind clouded as I did not recall any school buses. But then I realized that it may have been possible that I could have passed a school bus while it was extending a stop arm and coming up to the full stop. I have no doubt that all children were still on the bus. After reading more on the law its seems that none of it really matters.

Is there any way for me to fight it? I would like to plead not guilty as 3 month drive license suspension is not fun and truly I don't feel guilty as my actions did not put any children in the harms way.

I would really appreciate if some of you would share your knowledge and genuinely try to help me out. I understand that some of you will me find me guilty and believe that I should suffer the consequences for it ,please know that I respect your decision and will still be thankful for any feedback you provide.

Default Re: Passing a School Bus Without Realizing That it Happened

Quote Quoting YetiUSA
    View Post
    When the officer stopped me I was shocked to learn that I've passed a school bus. At first I was mind clouded as I did not recall any school buses.
    So you admit that you were "careless driving"? I guess if the State drops the school bus infraction for a plea of careless driving, you would be happy not to lose your license for three months?

Quote Quoting YetiUSA
    View Post
    But then I realized that it may have been possible that I could have passed a school bus while it was extending a stop arm and coming up to the full stop.
    That's not how it works. Amber lights are activated while the bus is in motion. The red lights don't come on and the stop-arm doesn't swing out until the school bus is no longer in motion and the school bus door is open.

Amber lights don't mean speed up or try to pass quickly. They mean be prepared for the school bus to activate the red flashing lights as children are about to exit or enter the school bus.

Quote Quoting YetiUSA
    View Post
    I have no doubt that all children were still on the bus. After reading more on the law its seems that none of it really matters.
    You're correct about that!

Quote Quoting YetiUSA
    View Post
    Is there any way for me to fight it? I would like to plead not guilty as 3 month drive license suspension is not fun and truly I don't feel guilty as my actions did not put any children in the harms way.
    You didn't put any children in harms way? Tell that to the parents of the children on that school bus. And if you were correct, the officer wouldn't have cited you.

Quote Quoting YetiUSA
    View Post
    I would really appreciate if some of you would share your knowledge and genuinely try to help me out. I understand that some of you will me find me guilty and believe that I should suffer the consequences for it ,please know that I respect your decision and will still be thankful for any feedback you provide.
    I'm not saying you're guilty, but even if you weren't guilty, you're not really a good witness for yourself as you haven't a clue what happened that day.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

Quote Quoting YetiUSA
    View Post
    My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: IL (Chicago) 11-1414
    But then I realized that it may have been possible that I could have passed a school bus while it was extending a stop arm and coming up to the full stop.
    Read the code carefully. You only have to stop for the bus if it has fully stopped. If it still in the process of stopping, you don't. Normally, the stop arm should not extend until the bus stops; however, things sometimes brake down. Try to remember what happened. Don't assume you're guilty just because a cop says you are.

Sorry, not even close. In Illinois, the stop arm is activated after the school bus is at a complete stop, when the red flashing lights are already illuminated. A loopy fantasy that the stop arm magically activated itself before the bus was stopped is very obviously worth nothing in court.
    Quote Quoting YetiUSA
    View Post
    Is there any way for me to fight it
    The odds are that any evidence you find is going to show you passing a school bus with the red signals flashing and stop arm extended, so be prepared for that eventuality. You can investigate whether the ticketing officer had a video camera in his vehicle, and if it was running when he saw you pass the school bus. You can investigate whether the school bus had a stop arm camera, or similar system, installed and active on the bus on the date of the ticket. (For example, see Prospect Heights).

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Sorry, not even close. In Illinois, the stop arm is activated after the school bus is at a complete stop, when the red flashing lights are already illuminated. A loopy fantasy that the stop arm magically activated itself before the bus was stopped is very obviously worth nothing in court.

The odds are that any evidence you find is going to show you passing a school bus with the red signals flashing and stop arm extended, so be prepared for that eventuality. You can investigate whether the ticketing officer had a video camera in his vehicle, and if it was running when he saw you pass the school bus. You can investigate whether the school bus had a stop arm camera, or similar system, installed and active on the bus on the date of the ticket. (For example, see Prospect Heights).
    How would I go about it? Should I file for discovery? Thank you for your help.

You should hire a local traffic lawyer familiar with this court and be prepared to plead to an amended charge if offered.

Quote Quoting Disagreeable
    View Post
    You should hire a local traffic lawyer familiar with this court and be prepared to plead to an amended charge if offered.
    Thank you I did. He recommended me not to hire one. He was right.. It was a good day all cases got dismissed officer did not show up.

I really appreciate all of your help. Its very kind of you you to take time and provide law advice. Once again thank you all.

1. Sponsored Links