Default Cited for Driving License Revocation, After Revocation Was Lifted

Location, Wisconsin. I've got my first and only offense of D.U.I. on June 17, 2014. Because of that, my license was revoked for 13 months. I've got 3 driving while revoked afterwards. According to papers, my revoked license is to be lifted on September 1, 2015. It's now October 21, 2015. I just got another driving while revoked license 3 days ago so now it's the 4th offense. Wouldn't it be driving with no valid license instead, since my license revocation was lifted September 1st? I have not done the assessment or reinstated my license yet though. If it IS still revoked, can I tell the judge that I did not know and I really thought it was lifted so that maybe they can drop it or be more lenient? Also, if nothing can be done, will I get any jail time for 4th offense? I really do not want jail time because it happened an hour away from where I live and I just started a new job to pay house bills. If the charge will not be dropped at all, what could I do for them to be more lenient? Will doing the assessment before the court day help at all? Thanks for any feedback.

Default Re: Cited for Driving License Revocation, After Revocation Was Lifted

Quote Quoting SKVang
    View Post
    Location, Wisconsin. I've got my first and only offense of D.U.I. on June 17, 2014. Because of that, my license was revoked for 13 months. I've got 3 driving while revoked afterwards. According to papers, my revoked license is to be lifted on September 1, 2015. It's now October 21, 2015. I just got another driving while revoked license 3 days ago so now it's the 4th offense. Wouldn't it be driving with no valid license instead, since my license revocation was lifted September 1st? I have not done the assessment or reinstated my license yet though.
    Then it's still revoked and the citation was proper.

Quote Quoting SKVang
    View Post
    If it IS still revoked, can I tell the judge that I did not know and I really thought it was lifted so that maybe they can drop it or be more lenient?
    Do you know what judges tell people who say things like that?

Answer: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse."

Quote Quoting SKVang
    View Post
    Also, if nothing can be done, will I get any jail time for 4th offense? I really do not want jail time because it happened an hour away from where I live and I just started a new job to pay house bills. If the charge will not be dropped at all, what could I do for them to be more lenient?
    There's really no way of predicting any of that. You would be wise to consult an attorney. You have three prior driving while revoked (presumably on purpose when you knew it was revoked) so it's possible that the judge will have no sympathy especially since you haven't completed the requirements for reinstatement.

In other words, what the judge might see is someone who blithely ignores his legal obligations.

Quote Quoting SKVang
    View Post
    Will doing the assessment before the court day help at all?
    Couldn't hurt.

Since there is no way of passing around this, what would having a public defender help with? I'm just wondering because I don't want to pay for one if they can't get anything good on my side.

PDs are typically free for people who can't afford an attorney.

You can call the PD's office and see if you and the citation qualify for a PD.

Then go to your arraignment and see how it goes.

You're free to plead not guilty in the hope that you'll get a plea bargain when the court has to set you for trial.

since it was a state trooper, does that mean i can transfer the case to the court in my town?

Quote Quoting SKVang
    View Post
    since it was a state trooper, does that mean i can transfer the case to the court in my town?
    Nope.

Until you have officially had your revocation reinstated by the DMV/BMV, you are still revoked.

1. Sponsored Links