Default How to Get Overnight Visits With Your Child

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Indiana, my ex girlfriend gave birth to our son a month ago we have been very cordial she also has a one year old from a previous relationship although separated I went to every doctor appointment was there for the birth of my child I have had visitations and I've had one overnight 24 hour stay she now is telling me that she doesn't have to give me the 24 hour overnight stay and that she can keep him from me until he is 3 / her mediator that doesn't seem correct one doesn't seem fair when we have joint legal custody she states that it could throw her into postpartum depression because she missed him that night but yet she let someone babysit in two nights before to go out and celebrate your friend's 21st birthday she was just wanting control but I am a great father and I want to be with my son as well and have that opportunity to bond just like the mother does

Default Re: Help

We cant read what any of your court order addressing visitation says from here. If you don't have one, you need to get one. Without it, mom can make the rules as she goes. If you already have one, and mom is not following the terms of the order, then it's time to bring a motion for contempt and ask for makeup time.

Default Re: How to Get Overnight Visits With Your Child

Quote Quoting 902pryor
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Indiana, my ex girlfriend gave birth to our son a month ago we have been very cordial she also has a one year old from a previous relationship although separated I went to every doctor appointment was there for the birth of my child I have had visitations and I've had one overnight 24 hour stay she now is telling me that she doesn't have to give me the 24 hour overnight stay and that she can keep him from me until he is 3 / her mediator that doesn't seem correct one doesn't seem fair when we have joint legal custody she states that it could throw her into postpartum depression because she missed him that night but yet she let someone babysit in two nights before to go out and celebrate your friend's 21st birthday she was just wanting control but I am a great father and I want to be with my son as well and have that opportunity to bond just like the mother does
    You managed to get a court order in a month?

What does that court order say about visitation and custody?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, Dad - you won't like this.

You're in Indiana; if you and Mom cannot agree on a visitation schedule the state will order that you follow the Indiana Parenting Guidelines. Those guidelines do not allow for overnights this early. You can read those here.

Default Re: How to Get Overnight Visits With Your Child

Quote Quoting 902pryor
    View Post
    How do you think that you have joint legal custody when the child is only a month old? Did you actually go to court already and have a judge order that you have joint legal custody? In Indiana an unwed mother has sole legal and physical custody until a judge rules otherwise.

Pro is correct, you need to read the Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines at the link she gave you. However, please understand that those guidelines do not apply until a judge orders that they apply.

1. Sponsored Links