Default Renting an Apartment While Underage

My question involves juvenile law in the State of: Alabama
    I'm sixteen with a daughter who is 5 months old. I'm still in school and I'm working. I have a full scholarship to college and will attend next year with my daughter. So this post is not about being a young mother, please and thank you. I am trying to do the right things and be able to provide for my daughter. My older brother rented an apartment and my daughter and I are staying here also. However, my parents still come over everyday and they have many opinions that I don't like to hear, but I know they are just trying to help. My problem is that my mom acts like I am never doing the right thing but I am still in school and work at least 30 hours a week. I am not in complete control over my daughter because as my mother says, she still has control over me because I am a child. We are having disagreements and I believe I need to be able to be independent to make my own decisions that are best for my daughter. I thought getting a place with my older brother, because he can get in the legal contract of renting would help the situation but it has only made it worse. I know I am underage and can not rent an apartment by myself but my question is- is there any way around that? Is there any advice for me? I will be off to college next year with an apartment on campus, do I just have to wait this out? Sorry it is so long.

Default Re: Renting an Apartment Underage

Even if you could become emancipated - which is not possible in your situation - it would still not compel a landlord to rent to you.

Alabama does not allow the emancipation of a minor until the age of 18; you are under your parents' care and control until you are 19.

And even then no one is obligated to rent to you.

No one is compelled to rent to you. it is probable that as a minor you can be held to a contract for your necessities....but it's problematic for the provider and many a potential provider will duck the issues .

I agree with others...your facts do not add up to winnable emancipation case.

In theory Mom has complete control,over you...and you have complete control over your child...

Quote Quoting HRinDEVON
    View Post
    No one is compelled to rent to you. it is probable that as a minor you can be held to a contract for your necessities....but it's problematic for the provider and many a potential provider will duck the issues .

I agree with others...your facts do not add up to winnable emancipation case.

In theory Mom has complete control,over you...and you have complete control over your child...
    Perhaps you can tell us what would "add up to winnable emancipation case" in Alabama?

I am not in complete control over my daughter because as my mother says, she still has control over me because I am a child.
    Your mother has complete control over you, because you are her child.

YOU have complete control over your daughter, because she is YOUR child.

That said, you'd do well to learn the Art of Compromise, because scholarship or no, your mother does not have to allow you to attend college next year. You don't get to make decisions about where you live until you reach the age of majority. She can yank you right back from your brother's place at any time.

Have you checked to be sure that a baby is allowed in campus housing? Are your parents supportative of you going off to school? Unfortunately you have to have your parents permission for that in order to attend and continue there.

College is nothing like high school. Little ones don't stay put and you can't take your eyes off of them.for a second. Does your scholarship pay for housing, food, transportation, etc? Can you afford child care when you work and go to school.consistently along with your other expenses? Have you thought about what it will be like having a young child, being a single parent and a college freshman? I'm sure your mother has concerns about all these things. You won't be able to socialize with other freshman because of your child. Have you thought about asking your parents to care for your child while you go to college?

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Have you checked to be sure that a baby is allowed in campus housing? Are your parents supportative of you going off to school? Unfortunately you have to have your parents permission for that in order to attend and continue there.

College is nothing like high school. Little ones don't stay put and you can't take your eyes off of them.for a second. Does your scholarship pay for housing, food, transportation, etc? Can you afford child care when you work and go to school.consistently along with your other expenses? Have you thought about what it will be like having a young child, being a single parent and a college freshman? I'm sure your mother has concerns about all these things. You won't be able to socialize with other freshman because of your child. Have you thought about asking your parents to care for your child while you go to college?
    These are extremely important questions and points that really do need to be considered by this OP.

1. Sponsored Links