Hello,

I am working on a school project about the Federal Corrupt Practices Act. I read through the act and it all made sense except the definition of a public international organization with reference to its definition to foreign officials. Looking at the FCPA's text, it definition of a "foreign official" includes an officer or employee of a international public organization. It defines the international public organization according to "executive order pursuant to section 1 of the International Organizations Immunities Act (22 U.S.C. 288)". I have looked up this definition and it is "a public international organization in which the United States participates pursuant to any treaty or under the authority of any Act of Congress authorizing such participation or making an appropriation for such participation, and which shall have been designated by the President through appropriate Executive order as being entitled to enjoy the privileges, exemptions, and immunities provided in this subchapter." I tried reading it and can't make heads or tails of it. Could someone in layman's terms explain what this definition means? I am also curious as to if public international organizations would include a public organization based in a country outside the U.S. and its territories and listed on a non-U.S. stock exchange. If someone more knowledgeable with law could help me clear this up, it would be immensely helpful.

Thank you and Regards