Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can You Hold a Probation Officer Responsible for a Suicide

My 18 year old son committed suicide after his parole officer said she was "going to ruin his life" He left a detailed letter describing the mental torture and threats he had endured over the course of a year. After he wrote the letter he stepped in front of a tractor trailer going 65 mph. What can I do. Thanks

Default Re: Can You Hold a Probation Officer Responsible for a Suicide

Quote Quoting GRJ
    View Post
    My 18 year old son committed suicide after his parole officer said she was "going to ruin his life" He left a detailed letter describing the mental torture and threats he had endured over the course of a year. After he wrote the letter he stepped in front of a tractor trailer going 65 mph. What can I do. Thanks
    My deepest condolences for your loss.

You can certainly take that letter and get a consult with an attorney regarding a wrongful death suit.

My condolences as well. An attorney can take at an impassioned look at the facts in the case and advise you. I hate to say this, but I do not believe that you have much of a chance prevailing here. Independent of a law suit, you can also make formal complaints to the corrections department involved (you omitted the name of your state, so we can't help with more detail). At least you may prevent such from happening again.

Quote Quoting flyingron
    View Post
    My condolences as well. An attorney can take at an impassioned look at the facts in the case and advise you. I hate to say this, but I do not believe that you have much of a chance prevailing here. Independent of a law suit, you can also make formal complaints to the corrections department involved (you omitted the name of your state, so we can't help with more detail). At least you may prevent such from happening again.
    I do not think that a prediction can be made either direction at this point.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    I do not think that a prediction can be made either direction at this point.
    Not without more facts as to what "mental torture and threats" means; but the facts would have to be truly exceptional to support a lawsuit against the probation officer or agency.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Not without more facts as to what "mental torture and threats" means; but the facts would have to be truly exceptional to support a lawsuit against the probation officer or agency.
    I do not disagree, but I would hate for the OP to not even consult an attorney because we discouraged him/her. Its a very sad and tragic situation that at least deserves a consult.

I am in the state of New York. She would torture him with threats like, I will put you in prison for life, I will make sure you never get a job, (he had 2 jobs she made him quit one) He got a speeding ticket and she took him back to court and tried to double his probation to 6 years. She did not succeed but kept telling him "sooner or later I will put you away" Told him he was "scum" that's why he was on probation. Told him she would make everyone hate him. My son was on probation because he was 17 and had sex with a girl 16. NO other issues with police, was never arrested for anything. We now have a second 18 year old male that attempted suicide because she was doing the same thing to him. Because we are beyond the 90 days to file they say we can do nothing. Is that correct? Does this lowlife get away with it?

Do you have any proof, beyond your son's suicide letter, regarding what the PO allegedly said?

I am so very sorry for your loss. My youngest son is 19, and I would be devastated to lose him.

Alas, what you describe seems to be pretty common practice among POs who believe in "scared straight", and it's legal. As Mr. K says, the facts would need to be quite exceptional for there to be a chance of a cause of action.

We have another 18 year old male that attempted suicide because she was doing and saying the same thing to him. He told friends but I understand that would be considered hearsay. What other proof would stand up?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast