Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Can You Hold a Probation Officer Responsible for a Suicide

Something in writing, usually. But again, it's not illegal for POs to talk to their charges this way.

I have a copy of the job description for PO's. Nowhere does it say they are allowed to Belittle, degrade or demean anyone.

Quote Quoting GRJ
    View Post
    I have a copy of the job description for PO's. Nowhere does it say they are allowed to Belittle, degrade or demean anyone.
    then does it say anywhere that they are NOT allowed to do those things?

Quote Quoting GRJ
    View Post
    If you are absolutely determined to try and hold the probation officer accountable for your loss, then pay an attorney to review the matter and try to pursue the claim. You can expect to spend tens of thousands of dollars just to roll the dice hoping for snake eyes.

It is very common for family members to seek an external cause for the suicide of a loved one. In most cases, such claims are impossible to substantiate.

I am truly sorry for your loss, but, I believe that trying to hold the probation officer accountable for this is going to be costly, it will keep the wounds open for the next few years as the matter slowly winds its way through the court system (if allowed to proceed at all), and will very likely provide no solace for you in the end.

Before we get too far afield on the actions of the probation officer, let me explain the biggest problem in cases of suing someone for wrongful death when that death occurs from suicide. The plaintiff must show that the actions of the defendant caused the death. But in a suicide, the person takes his/her own life. The decedent made that choice himself, no one forced him to do it. The taunts of others, however aggravating or demoralizing they may have been, do not themselves result in death and cannot be expected to have that result. The decedent made his own choice to take his life and is the one who undertook all actions that lead to his death. Itís hard to argue that someone else is responsible to him (or rather, to his estate) for the acts he himself took to end his life. People are reponsible for their own actions.

I know one of the hardest things when dealing with a suicide is understanding why the person took his/her own life and there is often a strong desire to blame someone else for it, to believe that the death was not the fault of the person who took his own life but to lay the blame elsewhere. But in the end, absent something truly unusual, it is the person who took his own life that is responsible for his own death.

Further we have no apparent evidence of the maltreatment of the PO other than the writings of a person about to commit suicide. This is going to be a highly challengable piece of evidence.

Yes the exact words said, the context in which the words were said, all these things are going to be quite subjective. And a parole officer who demeans you is seldom the sole thing that is going wrong in a person's life when they are in this type of situation.

Quote Quoting GRJ
    View Post
    It doesn't say they can't. My job description doesn't say I'm allowed to hang up on customers who scream at me, but it doesn't say I can't, either. That's got nothing to do with whether it's illegal or not. There's no law prohibiting POs from being assholes.

The job description means absolutely nothing.

I know you're hurting, and I'm sorry that you have lost a child. But you are grasping at straws. You son didn't commit suicide solely because his PO was an asshole. He killed himself because he was most likely suffering from acute depression - more than 90 percent of completed suicides are committed by someone with some form of mental illness.

He should have been in counseling to help him cope with the apparently strict terms of his probation, and to help him keep some perspective, in that probation is temporary. It has an end. Young people in particular are susceptible to episodes of acute depression in response to extreme distress, and lose their perspective rapidly. You say you have a teen who just tried to commit suicide. Help him. Get him into therapy, and do it now. You need to focus on the child you still have.

Missy,
    I get all of that. The second person is not my child, I only had the one son. "Your son didn't commit suicide solely because his PO was an asshole. He killed himself because he was most likely suffering from acute depression" Yes he was suffering from depression brought on by the PO. She brow beat him with the threats for over a year. He was afraid to leave the house all he did was go to work. He never came to me about it. Prior to all of this my son graduated from high school with honors, worked two jobs, never any drugs or alcohol issues. I spent the time with my son his entire life and raised him to be a good person. I realize I would be a fool to see a lawyer for just my son. To date we have 9 more young men (and ONLY young men) she has done the same thing to. There is a pattern here and expect to uncover much more about this PO. When I have the proof I will get a lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2