Exclamation Charged With Drug Possession After Driving a Friend's Car that Contained Drugs

"Do you think my charges will get dropped***" Hello. Im from Canada and I got charged 2x possesion of purpose of trafficking on september 5th 2 days before my birthday. The cops never read our rights. I didnt know my rights and Ive never been arrested before.

I was at the club with my friends and then we went to a party right after. My buddy left and i had no ride back home so i left with my other buddies, i squished in their car because they didnt want me to cab. We got back to our area and the driver dropped us off at our buddies car and he wouldnt drive anyone home cause he was tired. I had to drive my buddies car because everybody else was super drunk and i had to drive people home.

I had one last person to drop off home he was sitting in the back, we were close to his destination but first we parked by the beerstore and all of a sudden a cop car drives right in front of us and parked behind us and the cop came out of no where he was pointing a gun at us by the passenger (my buddy) telling us that the car was stolen which is not true my buddy who is in the passenger owns the car. They told my buddy to get out of the car and we kept sayin its my buddies car and they punched him i dont know for what reason and then i heard him say thats police brutality and they gave him another punch. I was still in the car while this was happening and also the other person. They never asked for car registration or license (PS. I dont have a license i just had to drive) and they never gave me a ticket.

We all got cuffed more cops came and i asked them what i was arrested they said they found drugs in the back 2 flaps of cocaine. I HAD NO IDEA THAT THERE WAS DRUGS IN THE CAR. We all got to the station. While i was walking i saw blood everywhere on the ground and i knew it was my buddies since they beat him. We were all in different cells. They asked me questions i told them the truth we came from the club and party then got dropped off at buddies car i had to drive cuz everyone was drunk. Later on they strip search my buddy they found 16 bags in my buddies ass (Once again i didnt know that there was drugs in the car or anyone had drugs on them) they stripped searched right after and didnt find anything on me i am clean and innocent. I was signing my papers and then it says im charged.

My finger prints is on october 21st and my court date is on november 5th. I am innocent and I was there wrong time. If my other buddy drove me home at the first place instead of dropping everyone off at my buddies car all of this wouldnt have hapenned to me. Buddy says the other charge is because apparently they found 2 perks in the car. Do you think my charges get dropped? And i know my buddy will take it i trust him and he has to he got caught right handed.

Default Re: Will My Drug Charges Get Dropped

My first impression was to point out that this is a US board and we have no experts in Canadian law here. US law and Canadian law is not the same.

However, it doesn't really matter. The crystal ball is out being recalibrated - we have no means of telling whether your charges will be dropped or not. In either country.

Default Re: Charged With Drug Possession After Driving a Friend's Car that Contained Drugs

Quote Quoting Lacg
    View Post
    My buddy left and i had no ride back home so i left with my other buddies, i squished in their car because they didnt want me to cab. We got back to our area and the driver dropped us off at our buddies car and he wouldnt drive anyone home cause he was tired. I had to drive my buddies car because everybody else was super drunk and i had to drive people home.
    You went to a club with buddy #1, who ditched you.

You then rode from the club in a car packed with people, driven by buddy #2. Buddy #2 decided to drop everybody off at the car of buddy #3, who was also at the club with you but inexplicably parked a considerable distance from the club.

You then drove buddy #3's car, dropping off every other person except buddy #3 and one other passenger, before stopping in the parking lot of a liquor store.
    Quote Quoting Lacg
    I had one last person to drop off home he was sitting in the back, we were close to his destination but first we parked by the beerstore....
    The liquor store was open at that time of night, and somebody in the car was feeling a little bit too sober? Or did you inexplicably drive into the parking lot of a closed liquor store at night, and pull into a space at the back, coincidentally following a pattern consistent with that of somebody who sells drugs in the parking lots of closed businesses?
    Quote Quoting Lacg
    ...and all of a sudden a cop car drives right in front of us and parked behind us and the cop came out of no where he was pointing a gun at us by the passenger (my buddy) telling us that the car was stolen which is not true....
    If the police thought that the car was stolen, why did they draw their weapons on your buddy and focus their attention on him instead of focusing on you? What did he do or say to make himself the initial focus of their attention?

To put it another way, it's difficult to believe that the police would disregard standard protocols for a traffic stop, and by virtue of happenstance focus their attention on a passenger who just happened to be a drug dealer in possession of a considerable amount of cocaine.
    Quote Quoting Lacg
    They told my buddy to get out of the car and we kept sayin its my buddies car and they punched him i dont know for what reason....
    This was part of their effort to extract him from the car, which he was refusing to leave? Why didn't you ask your buddy what happened?
    Quote Quoting Lacg
    I was still in the car while this was happening and also the other person.
    What happened to this additional person? Did he get charged with anything?
    Quote Quoting Lacg
    They never asked for car registration or license (PS. I dont have a license i just had to drive) and they never gave me a ticket.
    If you hadn't been charged with trafficking drugs, it would have been your lucky day.
    Quote Quoting Lacg
    Later on they strip search my buddy they found 16 bags in my buddies ass (Once again i didnt know that there was drugs in the car or anyone had drugs on them)
    Nobody goes to a club with a literal buttload of cocaine simply to have a few drinks, maybe dance a bit, and go home. Your buddy was selling drugs at the club, was planning to sell drugs after leaving the club, or both. I suspect that the police are having some difficulty believing that you had no idea that your buddy was a drug dealer.
    Quote Quoting Lacg
    Do you think my charges get dropped?
    If I were to read the police report, I suspect that the prosecution theory is that you drove the car and parked in an area known for drug sales, consistent with your being a participant in drug trafficking. I suggest working with a lawyer.

Default Re: Charged With Drug Possession After Driving a Friend's Car that Contained Drugs

Thank you for the answer. The other passenger wanted to get dropped off at that spot but we stayed in that parking lot for couple minutes cause they were talking and then Cops came.

My buddy didnt say anything to get the cops attention we were just parked there and the officer just came out of no where pointing the gun at us. My buddy didnt resist. Why would he resist if there are cops pointing guns at us.

They dragged my buddy out of the car and after that the other passenger and i were asked to leave the vehicle and walk towards them.

Yes buddy has talked to the other passenger. We all have the same charges.

I didnt even see my buddy at the club i saw him at the party after the club.

I appreciate the answer. But hopefully my charges will get dropped if god wills and at the end of the day hopefully buddy takes all the charge if he gets convicted.

1. Sponsored Links