Default Reporting a Known Credit Card Fraud Suspect and Informing Victims

My question involves police conduct in the State of: Texas

I had a former friend that had told me about a month ago that she found a website where she buys stolen credit card information in order to buy electronics and other things. Since she told me about her criminal activity she has spent approximately almost $4500 just from one particular victim that lives in another state. One day she had asked me to pretend to be the victim over the phone in order to verify a large online purchase that the suspect had made which I said no to. This led me to wanting to stop her from doing this to people as a direct victim of credit card fraud I know its frustrating to deal with. After doing some research I found out that she has prior convictions for theft and fraud. She had sent me links to emails including evidence leading to her(she used her name on the shipping address and sent them to her mom's residence...even picked up a package from a UPS hub). She had also sent screenshots of the victim's card number and even their contact info to me for the phone verification on one of the orders. I wasn't sure if contacting the victim would help since she does live in another state but I did want to inform her of who had stolen her money and that if she did file a police report regarding her losses she would have a better idea of what exactly happened. My first question is how could I go about reporting the suspect to police and whether the information and possible evidence would help any if at all. My second question is that even if the victim pressed charges and I came to police with the info I have would that even be something that police will look into since the crimes can be traced to the suspect? I didn't realize how easy it was to obtain that type of info until the suspect had shown me and I feel terrible for letting that happen and not reporting it earlier but I do want to see to it that justice is served because taking someones hard earned money is just not cool at all.

Default Re: Reporting a Known Credit Card Fraud Suspect and Informing Victims

All you need to do is go the police/sheriff department for the area where she lives and tell them what you know and give them whatever other evidence you have. They don’t need the victim to “press charges” because it is the prosecutor who decides that charges to pursue and files the charges against the defendant, and the prosecutor doesn’t need the victim’s permission to do it. Whether the police and prosecutor will act on what you tell them depends on the details you provide. The more detailed the information, the better chance they’ll act on it. The kind of information and evidence you have would likely interest them very much, it's a lot better than the kind of very general tip they often get that lacks sufficient detail to be able to further investigate. You don’t need to contact any victims and frankly you probably shouldn’t. Let the police handle contacting victims and informing them of what was going on.

Default Re: Reporting a Known Credit Card Fraud Suspect and Informing Victims

Would I still have to contact the police where I live or will law enforcement in the state where the victim lives? Mind you I live in a different state(TX) than where the victim does(UT). I had given the specific details regarding the suspect including her address, phone number and where she works...am I able to give police where I live evidence or how do I go about giving that to the police in the victim's area if need be?

1. Sponsored Links