Default Inadequate School Support for an Autistic Child

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I could not find an area I thought would suit this problem of mine. I have a 7 yr old son who is austic. He goes to school out of the area (10 miles from home, I drive him to school every day) Things need to stay the same for him or he blows up ( dosn't know how to handle change) I take my son to Occupational Therapy at our local Hospital. The school does not offer any thing for my son. They will not give him an I.E.P (individual eduction plan ) My son no longer wants to go to school. He needs special services. The doctors have written notes to the school explaining that he needs these, but they say he dosn't need the services. What are the laws the schools have to follow for special eduction? Why is my son pushed to the side?

Becky

Default Re: School laws in Washington State

Quote Quoting camero girl
    View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place to post this but I could not find an area I thought would suit this problem of mine. I have a 7 yr old son who is austic. He goes to school out of the area (10 miles from home, I drive him to school every day) Things need to stay the same for him or he blows up ( dosn't know how to handle change) I take my son to Occupational Therapy at our local Hospital. The school does not offer any thing for my son. They will not give him an I.E.P (individual eduction plan ) My son no longer wants to go to school. He needs special services. The doctors have written notes to the school explaining that he needs these, but they say he dosn't need the services. What are the laws the schools have to follow for special eduction? Why is my son pushed to the side?

Becky
    I don't know if any of this will help but it is a good place to start
    http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q...tute&FORM=MSNH
    Good-luck

What does the school state as the basis for its decision?

Camero girl, did you mean to state that your son is "autistic"?

Nate dosen't hit any childern (yet) when they touch him. He has not made a big seen at school this year. (last year he had to be carried from the car by myself, the councler, P.E. teacher and the princable while he kicked, hit, spit and bit what ever and who ever he could, than he would spend the day hiding under the councler's desk) We are coming to the point he won't get out of the car again, and we will not carry him in to school any more. ( they left bruises last year, they told me I was the problem and wanted me to leave while they carried him in) The princable has told me to go to another school, but that would not benifit Nate we would be starting from the begining. I don't see how that would help. They say Nate does not meet the State stanards. Is that true? I always get the run around.

Quote Quoting Happy Trails
    View Post
    Camero girl, did you mean to state that your son is "autistic"?
    Yes, try typing with a 2yr old on you lap helping out.

Quote Quoting camero girl
    View Post
    Yes, try typing with a 2yr old on you lap helping out.
    I don't know why they are stating that he does not meet the state's standards.

Did they ever have him tested by an expert that is knowlegable about autism?

This link has information regarding that issue: http://www.aboutautismlaw.com/sample_chapter.html

Yes he has been tested here. Tri Cites, and he was aslso tested in Idaho state by another dr. Like I said we are out of district and I think that this is why we are not receiving services. It always seems to be a money issue. Maybe I'm wrong?

1. Sponsored Links