Default Fiancee Visas, 90 day Visas

I am a US citizen....husband to be is from the UK. Our question is, is it legally possible for him to stay here while all the paperwork is going through and if not, how long does he have to wait before coming back over after his initial 90 day visa is expired? Also, who/where/what is the first step in being able to marry and be together? Thanx in advance for any help/advice you can offer.

Just wanted to add that I will be travelling to the US under the Visa Waiver Program. Any help on this would be very very much appreciated. Thank you. :wink:

Default Marriage & Visas

Your husband would need to maintain lawful status. I am not aware of a limit on trying to exercise back-to-back 90-day stays under the visa waiver program, but that is probably because it is unnecessary - the present rules allow an immigration officer to refuse entry to a traveler, where the officer is not satisfied that the traveler meets the qualifications for nonimmigrant status - such as, if the officer believes the visitor intends to stay longer than 90 days. I would venture that an immigration officer who sees only a short return visit home, followed by an attempt at re-entry will be at least suspicious; and if it happens again will be very suspicious.

Thanx for your prompt reply. I do have another question though. If he comes over under the visa waiver program, and we get all the forms ready filed and filled out for the fiancee visa, and at the end of his 90 days I fly back to the UK with him...will that cause problems? We want to be together through the whole process, but need to know more facts as neither of us want to do anything illegal, plus the fact that I have kids and can't stay in the UK for more than a couple of days. We'd both like to return back to the US while waiting for the info on the fiancee visa. Is that possible? or is there another visa he can apply for that will allow us to be together during the red tape? Flying is a major fear of us both, but the thought of not being together for months at a time is even more depressing. We are working with limited funds, not too limited, but would hate to use up all our cash flying back and forth, and also don't want anyone to think he would overstay his 90 days. In other words, we want to get married, with as little time spent apart from one another as possible. Any suggestions on other types of visas...or is the fiancee visa our best bet? Thanx again...and I don't mean to sound so dense...but this all seems sooo complicated :O

Quote Quoting blueyez
    but this all seems sooo complicated :O
    The specificity of the advice you want necessitates that I defer to an immigration lawyer. We can provide information here, but for an individualized analysis of your situation and legal advice you really do need to consult with a lawyer.

1. Sponsored Links