Default When Can a Public School Require that a Student Submit to a Drug Test

My question involves education law in the State of: Alabama

So last night at my high school football game i overheard a couple of girls talking about pot. I asked them if they knew where to get any and if they wanted to buy some as a joke. A little bit after that some man stopped me and asked me about it and took me to the principal he told the police to come search my bag for any pot i told him that it was a joke and that i had actually been caught by my parents with it not too long ago. He then told me that my eyes were red and that he could smell a whiff of it but i hadn't even smoked any i even stayed after school to watch the game and i was with my friends the whole time. After i told him that he told me to meet him in his office Monday and that he was going to take me to juvenile that morning to get me tested and i was wondering if he could do that since he checked my bag and didn't find anything. please respond asap.

Default Re: Can My Principal Take Me to Get Drug Tested

I'm willing to bet he can, especially since many schools in Bama have a zero tolerance going on. What does your student handbook say about this?
    Don't make me quote Monty Python at you.

I dont have my new handbook with me but i thought that if they only found something that they could get onto you for something like this. But I even told him that if he did take me to get tested that it would still be in my system because it wasn't long ago that i got caught and he said that the test will tell when i did it last.

Quote Quoting lol@u
    View Post
    I dont have my new handbook with me but i thought that if they only found something that they could get onto you for something like this. But I even told him that if he did take me to get tested that it would still be in my system because it wasn't long ago that i got caught and he said that the test will tell when i did it last.
    How long ago is not too long ago?

If you are a regular user it could be detected in your system for a month or two, maybe more. One time or rare user maybe up to a week or so.

Quote Quoting adjusterjack
    View Post
    How long ago is not too long ago?

If you are a regular user it could be detected in your system for a month or two, maybe more. One time or rare user maybe up to a week or so.
    It was like 3 weeks ago that i got caught but it pisses me off that the only reason they're doing this is because one of the cops framed me of being high.

Framed you, nothing. People who do smoke have absolutely no idea how long people who don't smoke can smell it on their clothes and even off their skin. And rarely believe it even when they're told. You don't have to have been smoking it that day for people to smell it on you if you aren't so used to the smell on you that you've gone nose-blind.

If you don't want to end up in court over illegal drugs, don't use them and even more so, don't make jokes about using them in public places.

Quote Quoting lol@u
    View Post
    It was like 3 weeks ago that i got caught but it pisses me off that the only reason they're doing this is because one of the cops framed me of being high.
    You didn't get framed for being high.

You got nailed for being stupid.

Default Re: When Can a Public School Require that a Student Submit to a Drug Test

At least insofar as federal law is concerned, a pubic school may have a random drug test program, or it may institute random testing based on probable cause. Sorry, but it is probable cause when you offer to sell drugs to other students, even if you claim after being caught that you were joking -- even before considering that the officer also believed that you smelled of marijuana and showed signs of recent use.

1. Sponsored Links