Default If One Spouse Declares Bankruptcy Will Creditors Go After the Other Spouse's Accounts

My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: California

After some research, I notice that California is a community property state. My spouse had debts when he lived in Vermont and before we got married. My spouse is filing bankruptcy individually now. I am wondering if the creditors will take money from my bank account even though we do not have a joint account. I had lawsuit case unsettled before we got married. I am afraid that the money from my lawsuit will be taken away by the creditors. Is there any way to protect my assets?

Thank you very much!!!

Default Re: Asset Protection

Quote Quoting sunshine886
    View Post
    My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: California

After some research, I notice that California is a community property state. My spouse had debts when he lived in Vermont and before we got married. My spouse is filing bankruptcy individually now. I am wondering if the creditors will take money from my bank account even though we do not have a joint account. I had lawsuit case unsettled before we got married. I am afraid that the money from my lawsuit will be taken away by the creditors. Is there any way to protect my assets?

Thank you very much!!!
    Your premarital assets cannot be taken for his premarital debts.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    Your premarital assets cannot be taken for his premarital debts.
    Thank you very much for your reply!!

Does the money I may get from my unsettled case before the marriage count as premarital assests? I mean the my case was before our marriage but the money I will get is after our marriage.

thank you.

Quote Quoting sunshine886
    View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply!!

Does the money I may get from my unsettled case before the marriage count as premarital assests? I mean the my case was before our marriage but the money I will get is after our marriage.

thank you.
    Its still premarital. Make sure that the money does not get deposited into an account with your husband's name on it.

1. Sponsored Links