Question Changing Last Name for Minor Before or After N-600

Hello,

We have applied for N-400 and intend to apply for "Certificate of Citizenship" (N-600, I guess) for our 10 year daughter after we get our citizenship. I have to change her last name (to be my last name - currently, she has different last name which we chose at the time of her birth in other contry).

As I do not see any option in N-600 (like in N-400), how should I approach for this? Should I do it now far in advance before N-600 stage or during N-600? What kind of things I should be doing after last name changed too? Any suggestion and guide would be a great help.

Regards.

Default Re: Changing Last Name for minor before or after N-600

Can you be more specific with your problem? If you wish to change your daughter's name, why not simply go ahead and do it?

Thanks for reply.

My specific concern and problem:

I have applied N-400 and awaiting interview and I have mentioned her name in children section in N-400. Now, if I change here name will that cause any effect on N-400 process?

My other problem (in understanding) is that I do not know how much time it would take for her name change and whether she gets the name changed before or after our citizenship. If I get citizenship while her name change is still in process then what implication would be with the fact that being a minor child she automatically gets citizenship under old name.

I certainly want her to go with new name (last name) while taking certificate of citizenship (N-600).

I hope I was able to clearly describe my problem.

Regards.

If you're worried about problems, wait until the immigration process is over and then petition for the name change.

Although you are absolutely right about that but may be my use of problem word was not correct. Basically, I had question that should I apply for name change and wait for N-400 interview and then mention the status of name change petition at that point of time during interview.

I was just making sure that if I am not delaying or jeopardizing my N-400 processing by doing this name change petition.

Regards.

As long as you submit proper documentation I don't believe the USCIS will have any particular difficulty understanding a name change petition, or that they're dealing with a single person whose name has been changed.

Thank You!!

1. Sponsored Links