Default What Proof of Income Will You Be Expected to Produce for Bankruptcy

My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: CA
    Ok I went to the bankruptcy court in my area today and got the paperwork to fill out. after being unemployed for 3 years thanks to this great economy . I know that I will have to take a means test and another test. but i'm wondering what else the trustee will want to see like w2's since I haven't worked in 3 years. I sure can't afford to pay the IRS 20 bucks an HR to look up my W2's. as well I never did file my w2 for the last year that I worked because the government would have taken it thoughts on all this mess.

Default Re: What Proof of Income Will You Be Expected to Produce for Bankruptcy

If you haven't earned any income, you won't have any W-2s. Have you filed tax returns?

Quote Quoting oliver2015
    View Post
    My question involves bankruptcy in the state of: CA
    Ok I went to the bankruptcy court in my area today and got the paperwork to fill out. after being unemployed for 3 years thanks to this great economy . I know that I will have to take a means test and another test. but i'm wondering what else the trustee will want to see like w2's since I haven't worked in 3 years. I sure can't afford to pay the IRS 20 bucks an HR to look up my W2's. as well I never did file my w2 for the last year that I worked because the government would have taken it thoughts on all this mess.
    If you didn't file a tax return for the last year that you worked, you WILL have to file that tax return or you will not be allowed to complete your bankruptcy case.

You also do not need to pay the IRS anything to get income transcripts. That is a free service.

Quote Quoting oliver2015
    View Post
    I sure can't afford to pay the IRS 20 bucks an HR to look up my W2's.
    I don't know why you think that you need to pay the IRS $20 an hour to do that. You probably do not need an actual copy of the W-2. The IRS can provide you with a transcript of your tax returns and a print out of the information from your W-2s and 1099s for free. Use Form 4506-T for that. Social Security can give you a print out of your earnings record, too, and the Form 4506-T has the phone number for SSA to get that. The trustee may well be satisfied with that information.

If you need an actual copy of the W-2, try contacting the employer first. Otherwise, to get it from the IRS you must order a copy of your entire tax return for that year. Each tax return you order costs $50. Form 4506 is used for that.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    I don't know why you think that you need to pay the IRS $20 an hour to do that. You probably do not need an actual copy of the W-2. The IRS can provide you with a transcript of your tax returns and a print out of the information from your W-2s and 1099s for free. Use Form 4506-T for that. Social Security can give you a print out of your earnings record, too, and the Form 4506-T has the phone number for SSA to get that. The trustee may well be satisfied with that information.

If you need an actual copy of the W-2, try contacting the employer first. Otherwise, to get it from the IRS you must order a copy of your entire tax return for that year. Each tax return you order costs $50. Form 4506 is used for that.
    There are a couple of alternatives to using form 4506-T. You can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and ask for the transcripts, or you can go to your local IRS office and ask for the transcripts. Both methods are quicker than sending in form 4506-T.

You say you haven't worked in three years. Yet you are worried you didn't file last years tax return. Either you made money, or you didn't. If you didn't, you wouldn't be worried about not filing a tax return.

You can download your tax returns from the IRS site for free.

1. Sponsored Links