Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Reporting the Use of Racial Slurs to Somebody's Employer

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Maryland

My wife and I know a family within our area (local neighbor about a mile away). Their daughter were friends with our daughter. Recently there was a situation where their daughter was bullying our daughter. My wife got involved and sent an email to her indicating this and that she felt this was inappropriate behavior. This is pretty common, if anyone has children they will know these things happen. There had been situations with other parents where we got notification that our daughter's behavior was bad and we took steps to correct it with our children.

However, this mother (very Type A personality) sent a message back indicating that she didn't feel her daughter was doing anything wrong. My wife and I then indicated to her via SMS that we felt the kids should stay separate for some time. The mother took this personal and starting hurling racial slurs and both my wife and I. My wife and I are a bi-racial couple (Chinese and middle eastern). She even went far as to discuss the physical sexual appearance of our 10 year old daughter!!!!! These are some examples.

1. Sent me a message calling me a "sand nigger and that I need to go back to the middle east"
    2. Called my wife a chink
    3. Starting saying my wife was naked and poor and this is the why she came here (US)
    4. Starting saying my wife is a baby killer, "all the Chinese abort babies" etc etc...

There were several other examples, anyway this woman is a contracts manager at a federal contracting company. I contacted the VP and Dir of public relations indicating what went on and they put me through to their "Ethics Department". The Ethics department asked me for copies of all the emails as well as text messages from her.

I sent them about 10 - 15 emails from her work email account (using work email for personal use) as well as all the screenshots of the text messages from her phone (phone number listed in signature of work email).

My question is more/less since they are asking for this kind of information, can this affect her work status there? Also, are they just going to protect themselves or not do anything.

This employee has a security clearance Top Secret.

Thanks

Default Re: Reporting the Use of Racial Slurs to Somebody's Employer

Your sole purpose in bringing her employer into this was to get her into trouble at work. And yes, your effort may have succeeded.

Beyond that, you're going to have to wait and see what happens.

Yes, it can affect her work status. I'm not saying that it WILL - just that it CAN.

We don't know what, if anything, they are going to do. Likely you will never know what, if anything, they do. They have no legal obligation to report back to you what action they took and it's about 99.999% certain that they won't.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Your sole purpose in bringing her employer into this was to get her into trouble at work. And yes, your effort may have succeeded.

Beyond that, you're going to have to wait and see what happens.
    I'm sorry. Don't know your background but without provocation would calling someone a "sand nigger", "chink" etc etc etc...

Be a person you would want to employ???????

If you're going to get into a snit because somebody points out your intentions, you need to do some introspection.

Or, alternately, I might decide that as long as she does her job properly, what she does in her personal life is none of my business.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If you're going to get into a snit because somebody points out your intentions, you need to do some introspection.
    My initial communication with the company was on the basis that "this is you're employee, and they are using your property to harass me" (email/cell). "they were doing this under you're capacity" etc....

When I read you're statement (between the lines). It's almost like you are saying there was some issue with me reporting this.

Again, if you had an employee who behaved in this manner, who represents you're company, how would you feel about keeping that employee within you're company. Especially one that represents you're company in negotiating contracts with federal agencies etc.....

Quote Quoting steppinthrax
    View Post

Again, if you had an employee who behaved in this manner, who represents you're company, how would you feel about keeping that employee within you're company. Especially one that represents you're company in negotiating contracts with federal agencies etc.....
    It doesn’t matter how any of us would feel about employing this person. All that matters is what that person’s employer feels about it. Some employers will take the view that if it didn’t happen at work then it’s not going to impact the employer’s treatment of the employee. You’ve reported it. There isn’t anything more you can do about it. Although you are obviously upset at what the parent said to you, it won’t do you any good to dwell on it endlessly. I can pretty well bet that even if the parent suffers some kind of adverse action at work out of this that it won’t have the effect on that parent that you hope.

... how would you feel about keeping that employee...
    Do you actually have a legal question?

How any of us "feel" isn't very relevant. This isn't Dr. Phil's place.

Quote Quoting Taxing Matters
    View Post
    It doesnít matter how any of us would feel about employing this person. All that matters is what that personís employer feels about it. Some employers will take the view that if it didnít happen at work then itís not going to impact the employerís treatment of the employee. Youíve reported it. There isnít anything more you can do about it. Although you are obviously upset at what the parent said to you, it wonít do you any good to dwell on it endlessly. I can pretty well bet that even if the parent suffers some kind of adverse action at work out of this that it wonít have the effect on that parent that you hope.
    Well two other options I have is reporting the incident to OPM (Security Clearance)

I also can put everything on twitter....

So something is going to happen either way....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting harrylime
    View Post
    Do you actually have a legal question?

How any of us "feel" isn't very relevant. This isn't Dr. Phil's place.
    LOL,

It is a question....

If you were an employee how would you feel about hiring or continuing with this particular employee? (maybe I need a "?" for you to understand).

Yes, employment decisions are based on "feeling" as well as qualifications.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast