Default Who is Liable for an Exposed High Voltage Line in My Creek

My question involves an injury that occurred in the state of: IL.

So I have conduit going through/across my creek. Inside the conduit is a high voltage transmission line, this is how it's written and platted on my deed.

I know the obvious thing to do is report it to the power provider. However, this is very reckless and irresponsible in my opinion. I do not feel confident disclosing it to them. I know the power provider has been there in the last year. Also, there is a new white flag labeled "Proposed Facility" less than 5 yards from the conduit.

Do I have any kind of upper hand here?

Thanks for everyone's thoughts!

Default Re: Exposed High Voltage Line in My Creek -is This Dangerous Who's Responsible

you have to notify them if you want something fixed, what's damaged on the conduit though? i couldn't see anything wrong with it.

Default Re: Exposed High Voltage Line in My Creek -is This Dangerous Who's Responsible

Hey there.

Thanks for the reply.

I am no expert electrician but I do know a couple from my field of work. They say that the conduit and black wire especially should not be visible let alone coiled in the water.

I am assuming it is dangerous.

If there is nothing damaged on the conduit, then someone trespasses and steps or falls on it and get's hurt -would I be liable for it?

I'm just glad the kids pointed it out.

assuming it is dangerous is a good idea

but bottom line:

if you do not report an issue, how do you expect them to know about it so they can fix it?
    If there is nothing damaged on the conduit, then someone trespasses and steps or falls on it and get's hurt -would I be liable for it?
    You could be because you failed to report a known dangerous condition on your property. That is another reason you need to report it.
    I do not feel confident disclosing it to them.
    Huh? That actually puts them on notice to investigate and repair, if necessary.

I'm just not seeing why you don't just get on the phone and call the power company. I do work in the electrical field and I know what electricity can do. I would have been on the phone as quick as I could. If it is a live wire, only a fool would do anything but call the people who are in charge of maintaining it.

And you're sue that this is a "high voltage transmission line" and not a cable or phone line?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.......

1. Sponsored Links