Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Apply or Get Out

Quote Quoting bearcatcardfan
    View Post
    I'm assuming it means if I re apply and they hire me as a secretary than I don't have to take it but if I reapply and they offer me reporter at a lower salary I do have to take it or I forfeit my unemployment.
    The first case is spot on, but the second is not so clear cut. You might be a reporter with 20 years of experience. Depending on how much less the new salary is, that can still be unsuitable.

I wasn't talking about reapplying though. You have no obligation to apply. Former employers, family and friends that "refer" you to work don't count. However, a potential employer does have the right to make you an offer regardless that you didn't apply.

I was faced with a buyout situation. I was praying the buyer would ask us to apply because I wasn't going to. Unfortunately, the buyer gave me a letter offering me my exact same job and that nothing would change. I couldn't refuse it and expect to get UI based on the "refusal of work" issue that was sure to follow. However, if things were just slightly less favorable to me, I'd have taken the chance and refused. In the early days of a UI claim, the job better be very close to what you just lost. One of the goals of the UI system is "not to depress wages." If it were any other way, employers could entice employees with slighty higher salaries, and once they had you, they could lower your pay to less than market rate, and while legal, it's not a reason to be denied UI when you refuse.

Have we established whether the OP wants unemployment? Maybe he wants to keep his job.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Have we established whether the OP wants unemployment?
    I would have thought yes based on the orginal subject as "or get out."

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Maybe he wants to keep his job.
    Then I think that's pretty obvious what this person needs to do and didn't need to come here.

Not necessarily, not if he was asking if what the employer was doing, was legal.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    Not necessarily, not if he was asking if what the employer was doing, was legal.
    That's basically what I was doing I had never heard of that tactic of firing everyone and making them reapply.

My one worry about reapplying currently is if I am disqualified from receiving unemployment if they offer me my job back but with a pay cut. If that is the case I would want to turn the job down except I would feel like I couldn't without the protection of unemployment Insurance.

Quote Quoting bearcatcardfan
    View Post
    That's basically what I was doing I had never heard of that tactic of firing everyone and making them reapply.
    It's not that uncommon.
    How long has the new owner owned the paper?
    Did he buy it close to, or already in bankruptcy?

This can be closed... Boss called me in and gave me my old job back letter was meant to weed out dead weight.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2