Default Can a Child Receive Social Security Survivor Benefits Directly

My question involves child support in the State of: Florida
    I am 17, I was kicked out and am struggling. It is my senior year in high school, also I have a job that I work 4 or 5 days out of the week. I am emotionally and physically tired. My father died when I was four years old and my mother has been receiving child support checks from the government ever since. I don't not see a dime of this money. I turn 18 on November of 2015 and from what my mom told me, she recieves the check all the way up until I graduate high school in June of 2016. So the question is how would I get the checks to come to me once I become 18, and if that wasn't possible, how would I proceed to collect money from my mother? Any answers are appreciated, thank you.

Default Re: Can I Collect My Own Child Support

The first thing you have to understand is that for all the years your mother was collecting child support and provided you with food, clothing, and shelter, you personally were never entitled to have a nickel of that money.

As to your other questions, I have to admit that I don't know the answer.

I believe that it's law that your parent support you as long as you are a minor so kicking you out might have been illegal.

And perhaps not having you at home any more would disqualify her for continued benefits.

I'm just speculating.

I suggest you find yourself the nearest legal aid office, walk in and see what they can tell you.

The alternative is Child Protective Services.

Default Re: Can I Collect My Own Child Support

The answers to both questions is, you don't.

Child support is not payable to the child.

Default Re: Can a Minor Collect His Own Survivor Benefits

Quote Quoting Jessicajo35
    View Post
    My father died when I was four years old and my mother has been receiving child support checks from the government ever since.
    Survivor benefits are not child support.
    I don't not see a dime of this money.
    The money is being applied to your support, so you don't need to see a penny of it.
    I turn 18 on November of 2015 and from what my mom told me, she recieves the check all the way up until I graduate high school in June of 2016. So the question is how would I get the checks to come to me once I become 18...
    Survivor benefits normally end at age 18. Three months before your birthday, which means right about now, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will send your mother a notice that benefits will end unless you are a full-time student attending a secondary school. Benefits can continue until graduation, or until two months after your 19th birthday, whichever occurs first.

When you turn 18 you can ask that the SSA send you the checks directly, without using your mom as a representative payee. If your mom is not presently contributing anything to your support, and you are not welcome to return home, you can inquire with the SSA about changing your representative payee before you turn 18.

it's probably not a point that is going to get much attention in law enforcement circle but many states have laws against child abandonment prior to the child being emancipated or nor or her majority....in short mom owes you a roof over your head, a safe place to sleep, and adaquate nourishment and medical care .....

As posted above , Id start to get myself named as representative payee with SS like Monday ...and stay in school!!

If you are earning $1,090 a month you aren't entitled to benefits.

I have a different answer. Go to the Social Security office with your photo ID, your most recent pay check stub and proof of your current living arrangement, and proof of full time high school attendance. File to be your own payee. It should be approved because you are over 17 1/2 and at least partially emancipated. Also report that you are working and the amount you are making. The annual earnings test will apply. You should be able to make about $15,000 and still be paid. Also be sure to file an annual report in 2016 and 2017. Talk to SSA. Some of these posts are wrong. Heck, I might be wrong

1. Sponsored Links