Default Does Home Ownership Count As Income for Child Support

My question involves child support in the State of: Washington State.

My ex wife and mother to my 2 children are redoing child support. Things are going well for the most part; we use my income, her income, my new wifes income, and her mothers income that she has been living with and continues to plan to live with.

Where we come into a problem, is that my new wife owns the house we live in and my ex wife believes because the house is owned outright, it should count as income. Her justification; if she didn't own the house outright, then we would have to pay rent/mortgage, which would be an expense. Owning the house is almost the same as having an additional $900 income, because it does not have to be spent on support.

Does owning the house count as income, even if it is not being used as a rental or anything to make money?

Default Re: Does Home Ownership Count As Income

Quote Quoting spokanedriver
    View Post

Does owning the house count as income, even if it is not being used as a rental or anything to make money?
    It is not income. Rather, it simply eliminates a cash flow expense that would otherwise be incurred. Note that under Washington state child support computation guidelines, the payment of rent and other expenses is not directly considered anyway when determining the amount of support the parents are obligated to provide. Take a look the Washington State Child Support Schedule, which is an online calculator for support provided by the state, and you’ll see what I mean.

Default Re: Does Home Ownership Count As Income for Child Support

Quote Quoting spokanedriver
    View Post

My ex wife and mother to my 2 children are redoing child support. Things are going well for the most part; we use my income, her income, my new wifes income, and her mothers income that she has been living with and continues to plan to live with.

Where we come into a problem, is that my new wife owns the house we live in and my ex wife believes because the house is owned outright, it should count as income. Her justification; if she didn't own the house outright, then we would have to pay rent/mortgage, which would be an expense. Owning the house is almost the same as having an additional $900 income, because it does not have to be spent on support.

Why is grandma's income and your wife's income even being considered in your child support calculation?

We were both informed that additional household incomes count as income, is that not correct?

No, that is not correct.

A court in Washington may consider household income when determining if the amount of support dictated by the state child support formula is appropriate, but deviation from the formula is the exception, not the norm. See RCW Sec. 26.19.071(1).
    Quote Quoting RCW Sec. 26.19.071(1).
    Consideration of all income. All income and resources of each parent's household shall be disclosed and considered by the court when the court determines the child support obligation of each parent. Only the income of the parents of the children whose support is at issue shall be calculated for purposes of calculating the basic support obligation. Income and resources of any other person shall not be included in calculating the basic support obligation.

In the case of an exception..the income of your EX s mother needs to be in there if as you state she is part of that household. Agree with others that income of others and deviation from formula may be rare......

Ownership of ones home is not income and only income is a basic counted resource as posted above .

Quote Quoting HRinDEVON
    View Post
    In the case of an exception..the income of your EX s mother needs to be in there if as you state she is part of that household. Agree with others that income of others and deviation from formula may be rare......

Ownership of ones home is not income and only income is a basic counted resource as posted above .
    Mr Kia cited the law...please don't confuse things.

1. Sponsored Links