Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How to Prepare for a CPS Investigation

My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: California

I have suspicions that someone has made, or is about to make, a false report to CPS about me allegedly having a dirty house and allegedly spanking my child with special needs.

I am taking date stamped videos of my house to prove that my house is clean, orderly and sanitary. But I don't know how to fight the false accusation that I spanked my kid. My child does not yet talk, and so cannot speak in our defense. I am very anxious, very stressed and would appreciate any advise & feedback about what steps I should take NOW, to protect my children and myself in case a report is made to CPS?

Please help me. Thank you.

Default Re: How to Prepare for Any Possible CPS Investigations

Quote Quoting ProtectMyKids
    View Post
    My question involves child abuse or neglect in the State of: California

I have suspicions that someone has made, or is about to make, a false report to CPS about me allegedly having a dirty house and allegedly spanking my child with special needs.
    What would prompt someone to make this up and report a knowing and intentional falsehood?

I am taking date stamped videos of my house to prove that my house is clean, orderly and sanitary. But I don't know how to fight the false accusation that I spanked my kid. My child does not yet talk, and so cannot speak in our defense. I am very anxious, very stressed and would appreciate any advise & feedback about what steps I should take NOW, to protect my children and myself in case a report is made to CPS?
    Not much you can do to protect yourself from unknown accusations. Keep in mind that for any action to be taken against you, CPS must show that the accusations are substantiated in some way - you do not have to show that they are unfounded.

It is up to you whether you cooperate with CPS or do not. Some people will advise you to fight them every step of the way, others will caution against that. I, personally, suggest that people cooperate because in my experience, nothing makes you a more likely target than being obstinate. CPS are rarely trained investigators, so they will very often go with their gut when it says, 'if they are not cooperating, they are hiding something ...'.

If you feel that the accusations are serious enough, consult legal counsel.

In the meantime, try not to stress about things that have not happened and events you have zero control over.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    What would prompt someone to make this up and report a knowing and intentional falsehood?
    Hello, thank you for replying. I cannot say for sure what her motives are. She and I just don't seem to get along very well.

The reason I am video-taping my home and date stamping the videos is for my own peace of mind, and for my protection, as the condition of my home has been alleged to be "unsanitary". Would this not really help ?

Are there any legal consequences for individuals who knowingly file a false complaint in California ?

Thanks.

It can take 10 minutes to clean up a room, take pictures of it, and as soon as you're done it becomes (for example) another mini meth lab.

Quote Quoting ProtectMyKids
    View Post
    Hello, thank you for replying. I cannot say for sure what her motives are. She and I just don't seem to get along very well.

The reason I am video-taping my home and date stamping the videos is for my own peace of mind, and for my protection, as the condition of my home has been alleged to be "unsanitary". Would this not really help ?

Are there any legal consequences for individuals who knowingly file a false complaint in California ?

Thanks.
    Proving that a knowingly false complain was made is nearly impossible. Not to mention there are a great many protections built into the system so that complaining parties are not held legally accountable for making reports that are not later sustained.

It cannot HURT to make recordings of your home, but, as mentioned by Dogmatique, this can change again almost overnight.

If CPS shows up and wants to talk, you can choose to talk or not as you prefer. What they do from there depends on what they have been told, and what they can find out or suspect. If there truly is no issue, then that should become obvious in short order.

How old is your child, and what sort of "special need" does he have? Is he or she under a doctor's regular care for their condition? If so, that doctor may be an invaluable resource to support your contention that nothing untoward is going on with regards to the child's physical well-being.

If you abuse your child and a complaint is made, and they believe it is serious they will come out within a very short time frame. If you abuse your child there are usually new and frequently old bruises and/or injuries. A spanking and abuse aren't the same thing. Although if a spanking gets out of hand it can quickly turn into a beating. A lot depends on the special needs and age of the child.

Whoever's this person is, you need to have no more contract with them. Unfortunately often people will try to use CPS when they disagree with what a parent does or doesn't do. There is a world of difference in a home that is unsanitary and one that isn't spotless because a child lives there. I know it may sound strange but a home with.nothing out of place that a child lives in can signal problems just like an unsanitary one can.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post

How old is your child, and what sort of "special need" does he have? Is he or she under a doctor's regular care for their condition? If so, that doctor may be an invaluable resource to support your contention that nothing untoward is going on with regards to the child's physical well-being.
    My child is 5, has autism but is otherwise physically healthy. No regular physical exams are required for this condition, but we are on top of regular well-visits, vaccinations etc. If they show up, I will talk to CPS, and they can see for themselves how my family lives.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    If you abuse your child and a complaint is made, and they believe it is serious they will come out within a very short time frame. If you abuse your child there are usually new and frequently old bruises and/or injuries. A spanking and abuse aren't the same thing. Although if a spanking gets out of hand it can quickly turn into a beating. A lot depends on the special needs and age of the child.

Whoever's this person is, you need to have no more contract with them. Unfortunately often people will try to use CPS when they disagree with what a parent does or doesn't do. There is a world of difference in a home that is unsanitary and one that isn't spotless because a child lives there. I know it may sound strange but a home with.nothing out of place that a child lives in can signal problems just like an unsanitary one can.
    My house is not spotless. I have two young kids, one with special needs, and I am unable to clean 24/7. But it is clean, sanitary and healthy. This woman and I just don't get along, and she is trying to create trouble for me. She has a lot of time on her hand, maybe. I just don't feel that I should grovel at anyone's feet, apologizing for not having a home that looks and shows like a model.

As was mentioned, no home with children is likely to be spotless. I have had four sons, and even with two of them gone, we still have two boys, their friends, and two dogs to tear the place up. It should be apparent - if CPS is called and they investigate - what is happening.

Get away from this woman and don't return her calls, texts, etc and don't go to.the door if she comes over..People like her.can be dangerous to you.and your family's mental health. Don't let her push your buttons and hopefully she will go away. Unfortunately people like her always find someone else to prey upon.

Why do you think you have to cooperate with an investigation? Why do you think you have to let CPS into your home?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast