Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: How to Prepare for Any Possible CPS Investigations

The process varies greatly not only by state, but by jurisdiction within each state. I just today had a conversation with a friend who left CPS in my county and went to another state where they are "years behind" CA in the legal and social arena. So how these things are handled can vary greatly.

The OP is in CA. Out here, generally, the caseworkers have heavy caseloads and they have to close them. For the most part, this requires something after the report. This means an interview, an inspection, something. Being rebuffed at the door will keep the matter open and may keep the social worker looking for other complaints, police contacts or radio calls, or just about anything where he or she can fish for additional information or to contact the children or the parent(s). The best way I have found to prevent ongoing scrutiny over baseless accusations is to show that they ARE baseless. Refusing to cooperate - while perfectly lawful - lends an air of suspicion to the proceeding that might not have otherwise been present as the case worker asks, "Hmmm ... what are they hiding?" And I have found that many of these initial contact caseworkers are the least experienced ones so they may go with the typical gut reaction that says if they are refusing to cooperate they are hiding something (young cops do the same thing).

Certainly, one can refuse to cooperate. No one can guarantee that cooperation will keep them out of trouble. But, failure to cooperate will almost certainly guaranteed continued attention.

Quote Quoting Mercy&Grace
    View Post
    Ohiogal, what to they do, get law.enforcement to break.the door down? What is their cause, suspended child abuse?
    Huh? I don't quite understand your question.

If someone doesn't allow the CPS investigator into the home, how do they legally gain entry?

View Post
    If someone doesn't allow the CPS investigator into the home, how do they legally gain entry?
    If they have the proof, they can seek a court order to interview the children, or an order to inspect the premises. That takes a little work and is not commonly able to be accomplished without a lot more than a single complaint.

I must have misunderstood what Ohiogal said. I.thought she said CPS could just enter a home in Ohio if the parents refused without the proper authority.

View Post
    I must have misunderstood what Ohiogal said. I.thought she said CPS could just enter a home in Ohio if the parents refused without the proper authority.
    No ... I believe what she suggested was that out her way CPS is almost never able to obtain a warrant to make entry.

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    No ... I believe what she suggested was that out her way CPS is almost never able to obtain a warrant to make entry.
    This is what I meant... And Cdw is correct.

False allegations happen, but so does child abuse
    Oh, hell, I know THAT from experience. My parents tried to kill me when I was 12. Believe me, I'm WELL aware that child abuse happens, and still have the scars from my brain surgery if I should ever forget.

Carl's question was "What would prompt someone to make this up?", and I answered with actual examples. It's not a slam on CPS - they are required to investigate every complaint, even when they find the complaint ridiculous on its face. I'm slamming the people who think that not conforming to THEIR notion of childrearing merits a call to CPS, when there are children who are ACTUALLY being abused who need those caseworkers.

My question was directed to the OP regarding what she believed might prompt someone to make it up about her? These sort of accusations generally do not occur in a vacuum and we most often find that there are precipitating events that lead to complaints (even unfounded ones) to the police, CPS, or other organizations. It helps to know if there is some sort of motivation behind the accusation.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3