Default What are a Landlord's Duties in Relation to Barking Dogs

My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Colorado
    Hello all, maybe someone can help or give me advise. I live in an apartment in Westminster, Co on the ground floor, when I moved in no one lived about me, so it was nice, after about a month two people moved in above me with two dogs, the dogs will bark almost every night right at 10pm and bark till about 10:30 or 11pm I have notified the management several times, they said, they can only give them a "notice" about the noise. after about the second time I called they allow the bogs to urinate on their balcony, which is just two by fours, so it drains into my porch, again I notify the management and the first time they came and scrubbed my porch, all was good for about a week, then the barking and urinating is back, along with them stomping on the floor from 10pm till about 11pm nightly.
    Management said to call the police, if they get a few police reports they can start an eviction notice, which I dont care but, if I do call the police, by the time they get here, since it would be a "non-emergency" call the stomping and barking would have stopped, so if I did that a couple times, snd the police dont hear anything, Im guessing nothing would be done, no report filed.
    Im looking for advice as I dont want to live here any longer, what are my options?
    Thanks in advance,
    Ric

Default Re: Dog Barking Late at Night and Urinating on Porch

Quote Quoting RicInWestminster
    View Post
    My question involves landlord-tenant law in the State of: Colorado
    Hello all, maybe someone can help or give me advise. I live in an apartment in Westminster, Co on the ground floor, when I moved in no one lived about me, so it was nice, after about a month two people moved in above me with two dogs, the dogs will bark almost every night right at 10pm and bark till about 10:30 or 11pm I have notified the management several times, they said, they can only give them a "notice" about the noise. after about the second time I called they allow the bogs to urinate on their balcony, which is just two by fours, so it drains into my porch, again I notify the management and the first time they came and scrubbed my porch, all was good for about a week, then the barking and urinating is back, along with them stomping on the floor from 10pm till about 11pm nightly.
    Management said to call the police, if they get a few police reports they can start an eviction notice, which I dont care but, if I do call the police, by the time they get here, since it would be a "non-emergency" call the stomping and barking would have stopped, so if I did that a couple times, snd the police dont hear anything, Im guessing nothing would be done, no report filed.
    Im looking for advice as I dont want to live here any longer, what are my options?
    Thanks in advance,
    Ric
    The joys of apartment living, either you learn to live with it or you move away from it.

Your options are pretty much as you have outlined them: Call the police when there is a violation of the law (presumably that would be the noise). Or, move somewhere else.

If the management will not help you either out of reluctance or a genuine inability given the CC&Rs of the apartment complex and/or the law, then perhaps it's time to inform them that you are no longer able to enjoy the comfort of the apartment - your home - and ask to get out of your lease since they cannot stop the noise and the animal urination.

Keep in mind that the police may not generate a report even if the dogs are yapping on their arrival. They may do little more than tell the owners to keep the dogs quiet and then leave. Either circumstance (barking or not barking) may result in an entry into their dispatch system, (commonly referred to as CAD for "Computer Aided Dispatch") but it may be sufficient for the management to begin eviction proceedings.
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thanks for the replies

1. Sponsored Links