Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ordinance Restricts Use of Garage to the Parking of Vehicles

My question involves real estate located in the State of: California

I received a notice of violation that states "The required garage is maintained inaccessible for the parking/storage of vehicles - 22.52.1010"

I called to get clarification and the inspector basically stated that a garage can only be used to park vehicles and not be used for storage. Is that true?

Default Re: Garage Must Only Be Used to Park Vehicles

That's not a state statute number so you are going to have to provide more detail.

What code is being cited?
    What city?
    What garage are you talking about?
    Home?
    Apartment?
    Condo?
    Do you own it?
    Rent it?
    Attached?
    Detached?
    Shared garage?

This is a single family residence with a detached garage.

They are citing LA County Code, Title 22 for R1 unit.

22.52.1010 Permanent maintenance required.
    Parking facilities required by this Part 11 shall be conveniently accessible and permanently maintained as such unless and until substituted for in full compliance with the provisions of this Title 22.

According to them, the garage must not be used for storage and can only be used to park cars.

The section mentioned is in Part 11 of a County Land Implementation Program for MDR that was approved by the Coastal Commission.

If you read further back starting at 22.52.1000 you will find that when someone builds in MDR, they are required to provide sufficient parking for their structure to assure that an adequate number of spaces are available to accommodate anticipated demand and not create competition for on-street parking or that would infringe on others parking facilities.

In furtherance of that goal, 22.52.1010 says you cannot take a parking space out of service (convert your garage to storage) unless you first replace it with equal, off street parking that meets the requirements of Title 22 of the Land Implementation Program.

In short, you need to clean out your garage and move your stuff somewhere else, or buy up immediately adjacent land, get both LA County and Coastal Commission approval and build a suitable replacement garage.

that's not how the words posted read...and to park my motorcycle in there would qualify?

I get it you cannot remove it from service for some sort of vehicle .

Quote Quoting ripclaw
    View Post
    This is a single family residence with a detached garage.

They are citing LA County Code, Title 22 for R1 unit.

22.52.1010 Permanent maintenance required.
    Parking facilities required by this Part 11 shall be conveniently accessible and permanently maintained as such unless and until substituted for in full compliance with the provisions of this Title 22.

According to them, the garage must not be used for storage and can only be used to park cars.
    Hard to believe that a code like that can be enforced against a private home owner but it certainly looks to be the case.

Further down (in part):

22.52.1180 Residential uses.

A. Every single-family residence, two-family residence, apartment house and other structure designed for or intended to be used as a dwelling on a lot or parcel of land having an area of less than one acre per dwelling unit shall have automobile parking as specified herein:

1. Each single-family residence, two covered standard automobile parking spaces per dwelling unit.

https://library.municode.com/HTML/16...2.1000PUPA11PR

The next questions are: What is it about your house that got the attention of the inspector? Is your garage crammed with hoarded stuff so it looks like crap when you open the door? Are your vehicles parked in your driveway (or on the street) 24/7? Are your vehicles old and unsightly? Do you have other junk leaning against the house and garage? Is your yard unkempt? Does the view of your property disgust your neighbors? Must be something.

I keep my property clean and I park my car on the driveway and one on the street. I have a gate so you can't see into my garage. I don't hoard stuff. I store a lawn mower, tools, some extra stuff that I don't want to keep in the house. It's the stupidest rule ever. We pay our taxes and mortgage and don't think it's fair for the county to tell us that we can' t use the garage for storage. More than half my neighbors use their garage for storage and I bet if we took a poll, a lot of people here do the same thing.

Quote Quoting ripclaw
    View Post
    I store a lawn mower, tools, some extra stuff that I don't want to keep in the house.
    That doesn't seem enough to prevent you from parking two cars in the garage, or at least one car and keep the other car in the driveway.

Quote Quoting ripclaw
    View Post
    It's the stupidest rule ever. We pay our taxes and mortgage and don't think it's fair for the county to tell us that we can' t use the garage for storage.
    Fair is where you go on rides and eat cotton candy. Has nothing to do with laws or codes. You have the option of refusing to comply and go to court to fight it. Keep in mind that you are likely to have to spend lots of money to take it to the appellate level because your local court is likely to just rubber stamp it.

Quote Quoting ripclaw
    View Post
    More than half my neighbors use their garage for storage.
    But do they also park one or more of their cars inside the garage along with the storage?

If storage is incidental to parking cars, that's OK.

If storage prevents cars from being parked in the building, then that's the issue for the code enforcement.

These are old houses. The driveways are narrow so parking the car in the garage is a hassle.

Yes, I agree. The court will likely just rubber stamp it.

No they don't. Everyone parks on the street and/or driveway.

Quote Quoting ripclaw
    View Post
    These are old houses. The driveways are narrow so parking the car in the garage is a hassle.

Yes, I agree. The court will likely just rubber stamp it.

No they don't. Everyone parks on the street and/or driveway.
    Drive around taking photos of other garages (and cars on the street and in the driveways) when their doors are open to show that they, too, are used for storage. Then inundate the inspector with written complaints and photos. Update your photos about once a week and write new complaints. Keep copies of all complaints and photos. If nobody else gets cited you can claim selective enforcement in court and see how it goes.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast