Hybrid View

Angry Can You Sue a Client for Additional Compensation if They Fail to Offer a Promised Job

I recently designed a magazine for a company in less than half month. It sounds impossible, but we did it with working over time every day until midnight and weekends. I was hired as independent contractor to create the design for the magazine, and worked with the project manager and editors. They provided all the articles and images, but I was the one,who design the whole magazine. They told me that they will consider this project as a first toward the full time employment. Because of this, they offered very low pay for the project. However, they did not hire me eventually. And, they told me that they are going to take out my name completely from the credits page. I read something about "work for hire" copyright issue, which is similar to my case. Can I file law suit because of it?

Default Re: Can You Sue a Client for Additional Compensation if They Fail to Offer a Promised

If you have received all of the compensation that they agreed to pay under your written contract, you have been paid in full.

If you want to be sure that you get credit for work you perform under contract, you need to be sure to include that requirement in your contract.

If you agreed in your contract that this was a work for hire, with copyright going to your client, then that's what you agreed. I have no access to your contract -- you need to tell us what it says, and where you think you might be able to go with this issue.

Default Re: Can You Sue a Client for Additional Compensation if They Fail to Offer a Promised

To reiterate the answer to your question that's been asked many times over in this forum and has always been answered in the same manner- yes, you can sue. Anyone can sue for anything. It is not likely to go anywhere however.
    When you say "they told me" we will presume this is not something actually captured in your employment contract. Under that presumtion, they are under no obligation to offer you a job following the completion of your project.
    Regrettably it looks as if they got you to perform the project for very little compensation under an intentionally false promise of better things to come once finished. The part where they are taking your name out of the credits points toward a dispute however - so may be they did have good intentions but changed their mind at some point.
    Suggestion: negotiate better terms next time or have an attorney negotiate them for you.

1. Sponsored Links