Default Repackaging and Selling Name Brand Cereal

State: California, but I plan on distributing this product to various other states

I am planning on purchasing name brand cereals and repackaging them into smaller containers that I will sell. I will make it clear to the consumer that they will be purchasing that name brand's cereal through labeling on the package. Strictly from the side of the name brand and ignoring the FDA for now, is there anything that the name brand can do to stop me from doing this? (Perhaps sue me for lowering the quality of their product through my repackaging?). For example, I will be purchasing bulk containers of Fruit Loops and repackaging them into smaller containers. These smaller containers will be clearly labeled to show that the consumer is purchasing Fruit Loops.

If so, would the name brand cereal company be able to press legal action against me if I instead did not make it clear to the consumer that they would be purchasing name brand cereal? (For example, I would market Fruit Loops as 'Fruit Circles' or something of the like).

Thank you very much for your time and help.

Default Re: Repackaging and Selling Name Brand Cereal

Why don't you just read the threads listed below and see the discussions that resulted when others have come up with this same loony idea.

Yes.

You could, and likely would, be financially ruined.

If you're referring to this, then the reason why I asked this question is because the question was not fully answered. http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97276

Did I mention the bit about financial ruination? Think long-term.

You may think I'm kidding around, or over-stating. Well, I'm not. But rather than go back and forth I suggest you start looking for cases where the "you" in the equation has actually triumphed over "Them".

Lexis is good, as are WestLaw and Google Scholar.

1. Sponsored Links