Default Repeatedly Shoplifting from the Same Store

California:

First, I am putting myself out there an am ready for the ridicule and judgement. Also this is long:

In 2013 I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. About a month ago my psychiatrist put me on an ant-depressant to help with suicidal thoughts. About two weeks ago the medication put me into a manic state. I let my therapist and pdoc know I was shoplifting and displaying manic symptoms. They adjusted my meds. The manic behavior didn't subside and I called my pdoc Wed and Fri telling her my behavior still wan't under control. She said she could see me next Friday.

Yesterday I shoplifted three times at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I went on a rampage out of nowhere. The first time I put a blanket and two pillows in a cart and just walked out with the signals going off. I went back hours later and took two drapes and walked and the signals went off. Reality sets in. I feel ashamed and terrible. I sit in my car and go over what I have done. I can't return the items now I feel. I go back in 30 minutes later and decide to pay for the items myself and discard later what I stole. Somehow in my demented this mind make sense.

I go back to the drape aisle and get some help and then am reaching for drapes when security comes up. She says she has me on video walking out with two drapes. I say it wan't me. Before I went back in I had taken off my long sleeved shirt and just had an undershirt- it was a hot day and I had been in my car stewing with she. She said since I had a different shirt on they couldn't be for sure.

I told her I was mortified at the situation and I would like to pay for the drapes in hand with me. I go to the check out counter and she asks for my name and phone number. I give her my name, but false number. I did pay with a debit card so it won't be difficult to find me. They didn't take me to a back room, have me admit guilt, call the cops, take down my license.

What are the odds the store will go to to file charges against me. Have you all ever heard of someone being allowed to walk out without signing anything and then be charged at a later time. Will they go to great lengths to persecute me even though I paid for my items the last time I was in the store? Everything was caught on cctv.

If files are charged will I have some defense with my very current medical history- literally the day before the occurrence I spoke with my psychiatrist about my behavior? A month's worth of increasing manic behavior with me seeking consistent weekly help.

Again, I expect to grilled and judged and will take. Been in regular touch with psychiatrist and therapist. See them both this coming up week.

Default Re: Ready for the Judgement

If ia few weeks pass by and you are not contacted by the police, you probably will not be. While the state has a year t pursue charges in such a case, the odds are that if the store reported it, and if the police are investigating (something they do not always do in property crimes cases in CA these days), they probably would have contacted you by now.

If the police contact you, you should immediately consult legal counsel. Whether you have a defense or not will depend on a number of factors, not the least of which will be whether or not others with your medication have entered similar "manic" states that have caused them to steal or undertake some other antisocial activity.

Keep working with your docs.

Perhaps unusually (certainly for me), I actually do sympathize with you somewhat. Having a long-standing and not-quite-adequately-managed condition can - as you know - throw a spanner into the works for even the most angelic person in the world.

Having said that...

There's nothing we can say to assuage your fear. Stores have been known to let someone go and then bring in the police, though how common that is I do not know.

I have a question for you to, which might be important to your defense. You've been dx as bipolar for several years, correct? Which meds were you on before the addition of the anti-depressant and for how long?

I truly appreciate your follow up cdwjava.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Dogmatique,

Getting the right medication combo has been really difficult. Initially, I was treated for depression and panic attacks in I believe January 2014 (could be wrong). They initially prescribed Prozac and Xanax. My pdoc asked if I was bipolar and I told her no. She let me know if I were that Prozac could put me in a manic state.

It did. I was buzzing. Blew threw my savings in a few months until it hit me I was indeed bipolar. My psychiatrist did keep as good a hold on me as possible and since then on my medications.

Then came the process of finding the right combo. She first put me on Latuda, Lamictal, Ambien and Xanax. I still suffered from depression and panic attacks, but it was less.

A little over a month ago I became really depressed and she switched my Latuda to a Sappris (kept the Lamicatal) and put me on a low dose of Lexapro (anti-depressant). At 5 mgs of Lexapro I noticed a difference and asked her to move me to 10 mgs. She then moved me to 15mgs and I went off buzzing like a rocket. Reality and this horrific situation have made me realize I can probably never take an ant-depressant again.

To a degree, I may always have to deal with depression and even suicidal thoughts, but at least it won't be criminal activity.

Have you actually been diagnosed as bipolar? That's the question I need answered. There's a reason why I'm asking.

Hi There,

Yes, I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder since March of 2014 by my psychiatrist and therapist. I was also on CA state disability for it for 5 months in 2014-2015 and then went back to work as a disabled employee.

Ok, thank you (I did miss that in your original post - sorry!). So you do have a history of a disorder which can take many, many tries before the right meds and dosages is found.

Please note that I am not excusing your behavior, and I'm not trying to give you an easy out - I am, however, going to suggest that this is something you should speak to your attorney about if it ever gets to that.

While some may think it's a convenient excuse, there remains a legitimate contributing factor (if not cause) of certain types of illegal activity.

So, all there is to do right now is adopt the "wait and see" status, and worry about it if/when it happens.

Again - and frankly this is more for other posters than you - I am not for a single split second excusing illegal activity or trying to provide a get-out-of-jail-free card. I'm merely confirming here what the medical community has known for years; some meds can trigger reactions and responses you'd otherwise likely never experience.

Of course if there's an underlying condition such as kleptomania, all bets are off.

Dogmatique,

I have read your posts before and you are definitely not one to mince words. Thank you for taking the time to respond. Hopefully this is the kind of bottom that doesn't have lasting consequences.

1. Sponsored Links